• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sira View Post
    My manager
    Your what?

4th gig but first contract for a large IB. Done only permie work for IB's before.

I never knew that was common practice thank you, that makes me a little less stressed. Maybe I've been super lucky with IT in previous gigs.
    It most certainly is. If you've got a laptop and a log in on day one take that as a pleasant surprise. Expect a couple of days reading paperwork and chatting to people and you won't be disappointed.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Your what?
      Inside

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      It most certainly is. If you've got a laptop and a log in on day one take that as a pleasant surprise. Expect a couple of days reading paperwork and chatting to people and you won't be disappointed.
      Yeah, first few days are always naff. Doesn't look like i'll be doing much work this week.

Literally just got email about set up horray.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
        I finally "started" my gig at a large Tier 1 IB yesterday. They're having IT issues and still have been unable to get me access to the company systems. Apparently they had a global IT problem and have had to re-submit my requests for approval again.

My manager told me not to worry, set me some relevant "reading" and told me to bill as normal.

Anyone else had any such issues? Appreciate it's more of a covid era problem, so not many people will have experienced this!

I did a gig a few years ago onsite with a well known energy company, sat there for 3 weeks with no access to my desktop machine waiting on an account being created by an outsourced IT supplier they used

3 weeks fully invoiced just sat on my phone all day

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM View Post

3 weeks fully invoiced just sat on my phone all day

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Originally posted by JohnM View Post

I would hazard a guess you aren't giving 100% and a full 7.5 hours per day to each client which I am sorry but is wrong

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            hmmmmmmmmmmmm
            Should have got a second gig to keep himself busy.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post

Should have got a second gig to keep himself busy.
              Isn't everyone doing that anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

only the people who aren't asking how to do it
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Because if you go back to an old client they can set you up very very quickly even if they took weeks to set up the first time e.g. sending you a laptop as soon as you sign the contract which is a week or two before you start.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

6 separate infosys contracts I have been contacted about in three weeks

Well dome Rishi, keep the father in law happy

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

No Lance you miss my point, this was on site, I was waiting for my account to be setup, the client knew I was sat at my desk all day unable to access my desktop

That is different that doing 2/3 contracts while you are remote working and not informing your clients which was my original point

Comment

Working...
                      X