• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

Looks like you have done well on the technical side but may have lacked imagination in marketing your skills through CV. If you are confident in your Azure skills, what stopped you from saying that you have actual experience! It was my Azure training + Certification + Imagination helped me move from testing domain to data domain. I am a living proof of that!
    Being economical with the truth?

It isn't hard to spoon in to a prior contract a few sentences or keywords to give the impression of experience. If you know enough about the project to be able to talk about it and understand it, and feel confident in what you've learned then you could blag it at interview and see what happens.

As skills demands change and buzz words come and go, I will revisit and reword previous gigs to paint them in a light that better fits what's being looked for.

I would never out and out lie, or claim something I don't feel I could safely evidence but being a chancer is what contracting is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      As skills demands change and buzz words come and go, I will revisit and reword previous gigs to paint them in a light that better fits what's being looked for.
      I was once going through a stack of contractor CVs with my team lead.
      We came across one from someone i had worked with at a previous gig about 2 years prior.

He had 'painted' that previous role on his CV with buzzword skills that were nowhere even close to what we had been doing at that gig.

I thought it was funny, but the team lead put his CV straight in the bin.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Being economical with the truth?

It isn't hard to spoon in to a prior contract a few sentences or keywords to give the impression of experience. If you know enough about the project to be able to talk about it and understand it, and feel confident in what you've learned then you could blag it at interview and see what happens.

I would never out and out lie, or claim something I don't feel I could safely evidence but being a chancer is what contracting is all about.
        //Being economical with the truth? //. - Exactly this. Precisely reflects what I wanted to convey

Competition from offshore consultancies does it all the time. It doesn't mean success in all the interviews. It never happens whether you are economical or liberal with the facts. But the likelihood of success is very high. Extremely high.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

I was once going through a stack of contractor CVs with my team lead.
          We came across one from someone i had worked with at a previous gig about 2 years prior.

He had 'painted' that previous role on his CV with buzzword skills that were nowhere even close to what we had been doing at that gig.

I thought it was funny, but the team lead put his CV straight in the bin.

Definitely a risk if you overcook it!

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Only pulled the figure out of the air but £550 outside is equivalent to £650 inside so I wasn't far off.
            £100 a day extra nowhere near made up for being inside in my experience

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post

£100 a day extra nowhere near made up for being inside in my experience
              Indeed.

When I bashed out some figures, I made it to be another half of the day rate. £500 becomes something like £750. At least.

Comment

Originally posted by Great Parks View Post
                Last 24 hours I've been getting peppered with calls from Indian recruiters, all of them on WhatsApp. It's bizarre because no recruiter has ever used that channel before and the Indian agencies have been very quiet of late. Now this, I wonder why?
                they will use your CV, as a template, to put an Indian candidate forward

Comment

stilling getting emails with roles but half of the time the recruiters don't bother to reply

oh look in France have the British varient now, lockdown 4!

Comment

One thing I had not been aware of was the amount of companies hiring worldwide for remote contracts during the lockdown

It is something I had never really considered, just started a remote gig with a guy from Europe

Its really has been the perfect storm for contractors the last 12 months

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM View Post
                      Its really has been the perfect storm for contractors the last 12 months
                      It has????
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X