• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just doing onboarding via an agency for a US IB. They wanted 10 years history for a shabby contract gig.

Interestingly they didn't accept my Limited company as an "organisation" either and wanted references from the agencies that I got the contract gigs through. Is this common practice nowadays? The last time I had onboarding for a gig was mid 2018 and I wasn't asked for this much information.

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
      Just doing onboarding via an agency for a US IB. They wanted 10 years history for a shabby contract gig.

Interestingly they didn't accept my Limited company as an "organisation" either and wanted references from the agencies that I got the contract gigs through. Is this common practice nowadays? The last time I had onboarding for a gig was mid 2018 and I wasn't asked for this much information.
      Yes it is. They are checking you've haven't been liberal with the truth on your CV. They've been asking for this for a lot longer than three years, in fact can't remember many times I've not been asked for it in the last decade.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 2 March 2021, 14:13.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They need to check you are exactly who you say you are.

While they will contact your accountant, it's worth making sure a few of your friends you have with decent sounding job titles preferably outside IT e.g. teacher, civil service, doctor are happy to provide references if they can't contact one of the agencies as they no longer exist.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Yes it is. They are checking you've haven't been liberal with the truth on your CV. They've been asking for this for a lot longer than three years, in fact can't remember many times I've not been asked for it in the last decade.
          My last gig asked for 5 years history, and that was for a hedge fund. I think it varies alot. I've seen 7 years before but never 10 personally.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

They need to check you are exactly who you say you are.

While they will contact your accountant, it's worth making sure a few of your friends you have with decent sounding job titles preferably outside IT e.g. teacher, civil service, doctor are happy to provide references if they can't contact one of the agencies as they no longer exist.
          Indeed. I dont envisage any issues. The agency even told me that majority of candidates for this particular client start the job without onboarding even finishing. The only mandatory requirement is the DBS check.

One of my friends did a 6 month gig once, and he started before his onboarding was done. They got his final reference when he was 5 months into the gig

Comment

My last gig asked for 5 years history, and that was for a hedge fund. I think it varies alot. I've seen 7 years before but never 10 personally.
            I had to give 10 years once to a bank.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Just got the confirmation of 6 months extension, Outside and 20% retention.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                Just got the confirmation of 6 months extension, Outside and 20% retention.
                What's the retention (20% success fee or something else).
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I had to give 10 years once to a bank.
                  Had something similar, was asked for 5 years details of "employment history".

Pointed out director of limited company.

"No, your employers from your CV".

I pointed out it was a company resume they had, with a clear sales pitch on the first page and a partial list of *clients*.

"But you were employed by them..."

I politely asked if they knew what they were actually doing and if they felt it was a good idea for a firm doing background checks to encourage candidate companies to *lie* about the nature of business relationships.

"If you don't do it, you don't get the role..."

Thanks, dude, I've included the client on the email chain to provide the reasons for withdrawing from the process.

Comment

I never get asked for references and i never offer them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                      I never get asked for references and i never offer them.
                      Do you also get paid in bundles of £50 notes in unmarked brown envelopes, no contract, no invoice, no VAT, no guarantee ?

Comment

Working...
                      X