• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I've just boomed again! 2nd time in 2 weeks.

Better/normal rate, remote work, and starts next week.
    My first one is still holding back on start dates, and the rate doesn't measure up so its a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
      If this is the song they want to hear then I will sing them this lullaby - Theres an english expression isnt there that the person paying chooses the music no?

Anyway some non IT state of market

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

US group Kirkland & Ellis — the highest grossing law firm in the world with revenue of $4.15bn last year — leads the way in paying its junior lawyers £142,000 a year at the current exchange rate.

Investment banking graduates with an MBA can expect to earn base salaries below £100,000, according to two banking executives, though remuneration for more experienced roles is likely to be much higher.

New York-based White & Case this month announced pay for newly qualified lawyers in London would be increased by £25,000 to £130,000, starting from January. Lawyers with two-years of experience will receive a £30,000 rise.
      FOLPM

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
        Well I've just boomed again! 2nd time in 2 weeks.

Better/normal rate, remote work, and starts next week.
        My first one is still holding back on start dates, and the rate doesn't measure up so its a no brainer.

Comment

If this is the song they want to hear then I will sing them this lullaby - Theres an english expression isnt there that the person paying chooses the music no?

Anyway some non IT state of market

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

US group Kirkland & Ellis — the highest grossing law firm in the world with revenue of $4.15bn last year — leads the way in paying its junior lawyers £142,000 a year at the current exchange rate.

Investment banking graduates with an MBA can expect to earn base salaries below £100,000, according to two banking executives, though remuneration for more experienced roles is likely to be much higher.

New York-based White & Case this month announced pay for newly qualified lawyers in London would be increased by £25,000 to £130,000, starting from January. Lawyers with two-years of experience will receive a £30,000 rise.
          Is there still a point to IB ? The government just provides unlimited credit, and the typical business evaluation methods (cash flow, profitability, etc) are not used. Investments seem to be done based on"feelings" at the moment.

Maybe the BigLaw firms are afraid that the best candidates will go freelance and end up never wanting to slave away at a bigger firm.

Now about my own situation, am surprised by how badly the rates in engineering have been cut, considering that most semiconductor firms did not take a huge financial hit, got state aid, and are outsourcing everything possible as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            I interviewed for a senior perm role a couple of months ago.
            I made it all the way to a 4th stage interview (3rd if you don't count HR screener), finishing with the FD and my new boss to be.
            Everyone else had bought the "why go perm?" story that I'd baked to perfection.
            The FD took a look at my CV then asked.. why so many jobs? a contractor?? I don't want a revolving door here!!
            ..So you can guess the outcome of that.
            Oh FFS, sorry to read that. And the fact that all that time could have been saved by stating the no-contractor request at the beginning of the search.

A similar story but, by way of comparison, far shorter. 2004, Life was taking a turn for the worse and I went for a Perm role at Voda. Quite junior so it was seemingly only one stage (that I saw anyway) with the Line Manager and an HR lady.

Most of the hour's chat was with the Line Mgr and all was going swimmingly. And then, the bane of my life, all lives, the most redundant of all departments and career choices, the HR woman piped up. 'I see you've been a contractor. What guarantees can you give us that as soon as the market picks up, you won't go back to contracting?'

Well I know I could have introduced contractor fatigue, security, new family blah blah. But I just could not be bothered. I was suddenly exhausted.

Knowing how this would go, 'Well, what sort of guarantee can you give me that you won't ever make me redundant?'

'That's not our concern' she mumbled with flaming hypocrisy.

And that was that.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
              Knowing how this would go, 'Well, what sort of guarantee can you give me that you won't ever make me redundant?'

And that was that.
              And that's when you realised that those that say "and this is your chance to interview the employer too" are talking bollocks.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                And that's when you realised that those that say "and this is your chance to interview the employer too" are talking bollocks.
                Exactly I always felt I had to impress the employer and pitch them what I have and be grateful for a role. Never did I feel confident enough to actually ask what I would do except for once. And the hiring manager lied saying we were going to do machine learning and deep data science when in fact it was just moving data around

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                  ..the HR woman piped up. 'I see you've been a contractor. What guarantees can you give us that as soon as the market picks up, you won't go back ow I could have introduced contractor fatigue, security, new family blah blah. But I just could not be bothered. I was suddenly exhausted.

And that was that.
                  The old 'quid pro quo' .. Nice

A contractor was saved that blessed day.. HMRC wept a tear.. accountants ordered another round.

Comment

Originally posted by ViatoremDiEfa View Post
                    Is there still a point to IB ? The government just provides unlimited credit, and the typical business evaluation methods (cash flow, profitability, etc) are not used. Investments seem to be done based on"feelings" at the moment.

Maybe the BigLaw firms are afraid that the best candidates will go freelance and end up never wanting to slave away at a bigger firm.

Now about my own situation, am surprised by how badly the rates in engineering have been cut, considering that most semiconductor firms did not take a huge financial hit, got state aid, and are outsourcing everything possible as it is.
                    Ah yes. VF. Fantastic company anywhere outside of the UK. Utter horsetulip like this on a daily basis in Newbury (or Paddington for those who can't be arsed to go to Newbury / live there).

That said - get your LTD in the redbook and in SAP and there is pretty much always a contract available - if you avoid going to Newbury or Paddington. Mannesmanalle/Ratigen were superb - the campus is sadly like a mini Newbury now.

Permit at VF though. That's a pass - unless you are Italian or Spanish.

Comment

And the answer would be

"I have been blessed by having the opportunity to add real value to many significant clients working on projects which truly excite me - This has taught me a tremendous amount - I am now at my stage in life where I want to contribute to the culture management and decisions made on making THIS organisation better then all of your competitors."

I dont think this is the hard part frankly - I think the hard part is being able to find a job that *pays* what you expect - a few posts up talking about 100k++ - Those figures are not far from where I am and I cant find anything at that level .
                      That's along the lines of my answer but a bit toned down, without the last part about making the organisation better than the competitors.

Comment

Working...
                      X