• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NowPermOutsideUK View Post
    Either you were heavily overpaid as a 600 per day contractor or you are heavily underpaid at 40k.

Not a chance in hell I would move from 600 a day to 40k but that’s just me.

Is your warchest low and can you do anything else even non it
    Yeah I would rather sit out. Basically going from like 9k net to 2.5k net depending on your tax position... for probably a similar workload. Doesn't make sense. If that happened to traditional business they'd just close shop.

I'd rather just sit out for a year and learn a new skill or programming language or even just holiday on the cheap.

After multiple years at 600 pd you should be able to sit out a year without issues.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterLysenkiy View Post
      Had the first interview today past 6+ months on the bench. Everything went well, but...

Damn, 40K perm after 600pd (outside) for the past several years seems like volunteering for a local charity.
      I had a similar experience and grudgingly took a permie job at 55k. So far, I am happy that I did and thankful that I've got something while the world falls apart around me.

Still, 40k is nuts. 55k is nuts and I am very bitter about it, but 40k is absolutely nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
        Yeah I would rather sit out. Basically going from like 9k net to 2.5k net depending on your tax position... for probably a similar workload. Doesn't make sense. If that happened to traditional business they'd just close shop.

I'd rather just sit out for a year and learn a new skill or programming language or even just holiday on the cheap.

After multiple years at 600 pd you should be able to sit out a year without issues.
        Why do people spout this. In what world is 600 pd translating to 108k p.a? Yes, it's a massive drop from 600 pd to 40k PAYE, but please start at something realistic. Somebody young an impressionable could be reading these pages.

Comment

Good for you; well done... you are now losing 9k a week instead of 6.5k.

That seems like an odd position to take.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
            Maarning all,

Interesting one in my inbox this morning - c# asp.net programmer, Havant £200 pd, non-smokers only.

Are they allowed to do that? Sounds discriminatory to me.
            Having once worked in Havant and lived in Portsmouth, I'd want at least £200 pd just in danger money...

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
              Having once worked in Havant and lived in Portsmouth, I'd want at least £200 pd just in danger money...
              So the need for none smokers is a health and safety requirement now you cannot smoke inside the premises.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                Client has found a project to keep me in. Never performed this new SA Role but said Yes any way.

Agent approached me for a rate cut. But I stood my ground and said I would only continue if the rate remains the same. That he should be happy that I haven't asked for an increase .

Hoping to get the final confirmation by EOD or early next week.
                Didn't get it. Strangely very relieved when I got the news. Moving back to bench from next week.

I have to make room for the 3rd laptop now. Funnily the clients are not collecting their laptop back in spite of reminding them.
                Last edited by BigDataPro; 6 October 2020, 12:22.

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                  Good for you; well done... you are now losing 9k a week instead of 6.5k.

That seems like an odd position to take.
                  But also saving 40 hours to do whatever he wants including new business ideas and training ...

Comment

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
                    One council (I think Hammersmith) has actually banned its WFH workers from smoking at home. How on earth they police this, I don't know. Anyhow, I read it in the Mail
                    I'm working as a consultant for a council and one of my close colleagues regularly lights up in online meetings I have with her and occasionally other people. I haven't seen anything from the council to 'ban' this - as you say, you can't police it. Maybe Hammersmith just meant when on video calls?

Comment

I know people that have sat out for 2 years waiting for their £700 a day rates to be offered on principal

£55K now and next April £40K roles will be gold dust (except the niche skills where rates will hold as supply and demand)

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X