• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just give the interviewee all of these to code up in under 30 mins.

hard interview questions - Everything2.com

Anyone who can do it gets the £75/day contract on offer (inside IR35 of course).
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

33. Create an equilateral triangle using three toothpicks. Now add three more equilateral triangles of the same size as the original using only three more toothpicks.
      Are technical interviewers getting their questions from the side of matchbox now?

Comment

Originally posted by ittony View Post
        Are technical interviewers getting their questions from the side of matchbox now?
        Same place you are getting your accountancy advice from?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Same place you are getting your accountancy advice from?
          How dare you! I get my accountancy advice from a very fine forum, a community of my peers, which with very few exceptions, just one really, is as fine a bunch of friendly, wise advisors as you'll ever find.

Back of a matchbox indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by ittony View Post
            How dare you! I get my accountancy advice from a very fine forum, a community of my peers, which with very few exceptions, just one really, is as fine a bunch of friendly, wise advisors as you'll ever find.

Back of a matchbox indeed.
            I just settle for NLUK and avoid diversifying too much in the forum.

More often than not if he asks if you have asked your accountant, it is something you shouldn't do.

If he expands on a topic, it is confirmation bias for me - so I am happy.

Comment

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
              I just settle for NLUK and avoid diversifying too much in the forum.

More often than not if he asks if you have asked your accountant, it is something you shouldn't do.

If he expands on a topic, it is confirmation bias for me - so I am happy.
              You're replying to someone that has missed 4 years of pension payments because they made a mistake about how they work.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CosmicWave View Post
                Thanks, guys. I have uploaded the DOCX version now. I am not expecting any magic to happen... since the PDF used to work well so far until COVID hit.

My issue was that the word version (from which the PDF is generated) has all the data in nice text boxes & columns laid out etc. so if the agents carelessly hit some enter keys in them, the data may get overflown and not show up etc.
                The PDF version once compiled to PDF, preserves that by freezing all that, and hence the layout or data won't be misaligned.

Anyway, the DOCX is now out there in the wild!

I am now actively on my Plan-B side projects slowly becoming main ones going forward, since I have lost all hopes with the contract market for the future.
                ATS systems can struggle with tables, boxes, too many fonts etc that then screw up your CV when it gets imported. If uploading your CV online, best keep it fairly plain and in a simple format.

Comment

Had phone call from potential client yesterday - low rate but short term so some income and would take me up to point when market hopefully improves further.

Went well, then got call later - impressed technically but a perm there knew someone was available who they had worked with before so were going with them.

C'est la vie.

Comment

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
                    Had phone call from potential client yesterday - low rate but short term so some income and would take me up to point when market hopefully improves further.

Went well, then got call later - impressed technically but a perm there knew someone was available who they had worked with before so were going with them.

C'est la vie.
                    dang

Comment

Similar to my recent effort.

One interview in five months, which was with the last client I had been at. Agent, who I knew, thought it was a shoo-in and the 'interview' would be more an introduction to the project.

Client wanted to open up the interview process, another candidate was introduced, he was taken because he had Also worked with the partner that was on the project.

I am setting myself the target of being back in business by Christmas...

Comment

Working...
                      X