• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CosmicWave View Post
    I have been applying for all applicable roles for the past 4 months, and I have not managed to interview on any role yet.
    There are calls coming up from pimps now and then (including the ones I have done business with), and they all put forward my CV, and wait and wait and nothing.

When calls do come, they all seem to be the usual fishing type ones, trying to find out my earlier rates, and clients, etc, and not forthcoming with any info on the role they were supposedly calling me for.

There was one from an agent, and I had to submit a long (a very long) test - an end-to-end app, that would take several hours to finish.
    That turned to be a fake role. Waste of time. I don't want to go into the details of that one! Really frustrating one to even think about it.

After that one, I have decided to never do tests (I never had to do one ever before, all of my contracts before).

It could not be my CV, I am pretty sure (some agents have even said they are waiting for feedback from client).
    I have managed to secure contracts throughout the past (16+ years), with about 2 weeks max. gap.

Feels dreadful.

I need to get something sorted by end of next month at least, otherwise the usual holiday mood will kick-in and it will be early next year (after Jan) to get any roles showing up, which is also highly unlikely given new rules to kick in soon at that time.

Got some war chest, so can go on for some more time.

Am I alone? Has anyone secured any role in the past 4-5 months (Inside or Outside IR35)?
    I am almost on tears!

Never felt this weak!!!! I am struggling to get words out of my mind now!... I will stop here.
    No such things like holiday time.you can get contract in any month. Market and time is bad.just hang on re skill yrself, after analysing which skill are in demand. Just give yr 100%- all i know person who gives 100% , gets the taste of success. Be flexible in yr job search. All the best!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
      HMRC: I'm going to ask again Mr Antman, how do you explain the transaction of $300,000 from the trust account in the Cayman Islands to your personal account?..

ooooh yeah, I'd forgotten about that!

Comment

Things have very quickly taken a turn for the better; it almost feels like the good old days again (except for the pay scales). So the current fixed-term employment contract I'm on is about to end in 5 weeks. It's been the lowest pay I've ever accepted in decades, but pandemics are pandemics, so I was grateful not to have to dip into my warchest. Up until about two weeks ago, I was pretty worried the market was tanked as I was getting barely a nibble on my CV. Then .. all of a sudden I got 3 promising leads followed by three interviews followed by two offers and now my current employer wants to keep me on indefinitely at a substantially higher salary. I actually have to make a decision by the middle of next week - and I'm still getting calls. To be clear, none of these jobs offer a salary I would have accepted pre-Covid, but they're pretty close.

I don't know what you all are experiencing, but it looks like the market is waking up suddenly. For all of you out there worried than things seems too quiet - all I can say is keep chipping away, everything could change in a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Katalyst View Post
          Things have very quickly taken a turn for the better; it almost feels like the good old days again (except for the pay scales). So the current fixed-term employment contract I'm on is about to end in 5 weeks. It's been the lowest pay I've ever accepted in decades, but pandemics are pandemics, so I was grateful not to have to dip into my warchest. Up until about two weeks ago, I was pretty worried the market was tanked as I was getting barely a nibble on my CV. Then .. all of a sudden I got 3 promising leads followed by three interviews followed by two offers and now my current employer wants to keep me on indefinitely at a substantially higher salary. I actually have to make a decision by the middle of next week - and I'm still getting calls. To be clear, none of these jobs offer a salary I would have accepted pre-Covid, but they're pretty close.

I don't know what you all are experiencing, but it looks like the market is waking up suddenly. For all of you out there worried than things seems too quiet - all I can say is keep chipping away, everything could change in a week.
          Do 2 roles at the same time

Sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            Do 2 roles at the same time

Sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
            I did think about that .. but if you're permie at both, I'm pretty sure HR will find out as soon as they work out the NHS stuff.

Comment

Thank you for bringing some positivity into the thread. Most needed for many.

Comment

Have to admit, last week was the most positive I'd seen in a while for roles in my sector (still the few annoying FTC roles listed as contract).

Even had an interview yesterday on same rate as last one and 99% WFH so fingers crossed.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson
                  WTF??? Is it any wonder IR35 is set to kick in to the private sector come April 2021? Maybe the revenue are right?
                  Not to mention constant reference to salary; probably just a slip of the tongue rather than a permietractor who imo have triggered all these reforms.

Comment

I did think about that .. but if you're permie at both, I'm pretty sure HR will find out as soon as they work out the NHS stuff.
                    What NHS stuff?

Knew someone who worked for 2 companies in the same office block in Cannon Street back in the 90s. Nobody was ever any the wiser.

Comment

Originally posted by Rearden Metal View Post
                      What NHS stuff?

Knew someone who worked for 2 companies in the same office block in Cannon Street back in the 90s. Nobody was ever any the wiser.
                      I think the issue is that you need two different tax codes for the jobs. For one, you have to provide a P45 before starting but for the other one, you have to provide a P46 - and they for sure will know that they are the "second" job. If you were contracting .. now that's a whole other story.

Taking on two jobs - The Mix.

Comment

Working...
                      X