• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by perplexed View Post
    Having just been diagnosed with autism, tempted to change company pitch... "Hey, clients, why offshore for a crap service when you can hire this company and tick your disability boxes at the same time"...
    Nice try, but contractors don't count into any employment quotas.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
      Ah, creative thinking though. "Client X, proud to partner with disabled contractors..."

Thinking of other taglines... "Ignore neuro-typicals, we can think of so many things that could happen / go wrong due to being incredibly anal that they can't..."

Comment

Nice try, but the UK doesn't have any employment quotas for people with disabilities, even for dull sockies.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          Nice try, but the UK doesn't have any employment quotas for people with disabilities, even for dull sockies.
          Big corporations love this kind of stuff. They certainly have targets for employing disabled or from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Comment

Big corporations love this kind of stuff. They certainly have targets for employing disabled or from disadvantaged backgrounds.
            BS....

They track the information. But only if the employees allow it. That’s it though. It’s hard enough to find good staff, only public sector would ever consider limiting themselves with this sort of stupid tokenism.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              BS....

They track the information. But only if the employees allow it. That’s it though. It’s hard enough to find good staff, only public sector would ever consider limiting themselves with this sort of stupid tokenism.
              I'm not so sure about that, you'd be surprised how woke HR is in big global corps.

Comment

Certainly happens in the US w/ federal contracts (e.g., service-disabled veteran-owned small business).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Certainly happens in the US w/ federal contracts (e.g., service-disabled veteran-owned small business).
                  My previous permie employer got a contract on the States by partnering with a black female owned company,
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I got one phone call from a recruiter last week but then nothing back and nothing since.

That said, I've managed to agree on part-time role as a CTO in a start-up, So if any of you have great React Native skills (+ video processing backend knowhow as a bonus) ping me.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      I'm not so sure about that, you'd be surprised how woke HR is in big global corps.
                      Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                      And this extends to the UK arms too. In a previous perm role (and a few years ago now), I sat in our our annual sales conference (with thousands of others) for a large US company with offices world-wide where the CEO effectively told people they were not enough females and minorities in senior/middle-management positions and positive discrimination was being introduced, and that policy had no geographic boundaries.

Of course, UK HR said it did not apply here due to our laws, but the happenings of the few months thereafter suggested differently.
                      Last edited by Paralytic; 7 August 2020, 10:10.

Comment

Working...
                      X