• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    What do you mean my friend?
    I was referring to the fact that phone stopped ringing for several months now!

Comment

from just IR35 point, I think its not as black and white in terms of no outside roles will be around from next year or very rare ones.
      I not contracted for private sector only public but in Public I do know of a lot of clients are now re thinking how they do contracts.
      if they can do use contracts that conform to IR35 outside rules and change the ways of working then I suspect they will do it rather then risk loosing people in current climate
      Not many contractors in my client and my previous place of work when I was perm would want to stay if inside.

on cloud etc I was lucky that I got that experience from my perm role.
      Last edited by xenomorph; 5 June 2020, 12:36.

Comment

Originally posted by xenomorph View Post
        if they can do use contracts that conform to IR35 outside rules and change the ways of working then I suspect they will do it rather then risk loosing people in current climate
        But HMRC guidance states they will not accept an arrangement that its purpose is to avoid tax. If someone could do a role on the inside basis, then there is no justification to take someone on an outside contract.
        That means company can only keep people in by increasing the rate to have inside contract match the outside one. For many this will be too expensive and they will look for teams overseas.

People won't be leaving because everywhere else inside contract will be all that is on offer.

Comment

it'd be great if recruitment agencies and other 'consultancies' would spend the next year giving advice that wasn't "just mark everyone inside", like they should've been doing all along
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

But HMRC guidance states they will not accept an arrangement that its purpose is to avoid tax. If someone could do a role on the inside basis, then there is no justification to take someone on an outside contract.
            That means company can only keep people in by increasing the rate to have inside contract match the outside one. For many this will be too expensive and they will look for teams overseas.

People won't be leaving because everywhere else inside contract will be all that is on offer.
            That maybe true but in my area overseas is not possible.
            So its either keep people outside or replace contractors with perm staff.

Comment

I think you are taking that too literally. The guidance means that a paper exercise won't be accepted (as is the case now, working practices overrule contract), but if the whole way of working is changed to a client / supplier B2B with Sow etc, there is no way that won't be accepted by the courts.

Whether clients wise up to that or not is a whole different question.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                I think you are taking that too literally. The guidance means that a paper exercise won't be accepted (as is the case now, working practices overrule contract), but if the whole way of working is changed to a client / supplier B2B with Sow etc, there is no way that won't be accepted by the courts.

Exactly

The biggest issue here with clients currently is the ways of working needing to change completely. I suspect not all clients will want to make these changes so they will probably stay inside or go perm (clients in public sector at least).
                They will need to also change the way they deal with way they do SoWs etc and this will mean more work for them,

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post

– labelling a contract as a contracted out service or a “statement of work” will not prevent the off-payroll working rules
                  from applying, and the reality of the arrangements should be considered.
                  There are some case studies and guidance:

https://s3-eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/t...0-Apr-2021.pdf

It's a minefield.

Comment

Can we keep this thread on topic please?

I dip in here most days in the hope of reading some good news about an uptick in the market (or even about somebody getting a gig!).

So... it's definitely picking up. I've had 4 calls in the last 3 days which is double the amount I received during the preceding 2 months.

Hope we are witnessing the phoenix from the flames moment....
                    Last edited by Excursion UK; 8 June 2020, 14:53.

Comment

Well it was flat lining for a while, but the market does feel like its coming back for me a little. I wont say more than that because it may just be like someone trying the defibrillator and getting a few spasms and an erratic pulse.

Over the last 2 weeks I had around half dozen calls about real gigs, and even have an interview lined up.

Comment

Working...
                      X