• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
    Impossible to say probably I know but I'd still be curious as to what you all think will happen when(if) things start to recover?

Is it going to be a cup runneth over situation / turning down many offers? Will it trickle back to a weak version of 'normal'? Are we all doomed?? Or...??
    I have no idea at the moment.

I don't think it'll be a big bang start up as it'll take time for companies to decide what their strategic direction is going to be. I'd like to think they would give proper consideration to how they resource up to that but it's unlikely.

My biggest concern is the taxation that will be required to cover the cost of all the help given as I bet there'll be plans afoot to recoup that as quickly as possible. That's where I'd really like to see HMG drive a root and branch review of the tax system and actually make proper changes rather than tinker around the edges. Yes it'll take at least a couple of years to do properly but it's worth taking the time to do it right.
    Last edited by ladymuck; 1 April 2020, 09:25.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      I have no idea at the moment.

I don't think it'll be a big bang start up as it'll take time for companies to decide what their strategic direction is going to be. I'd like to think they would give proper consideration to how they resource up to that but it's unlikely.

My biggest concern is the taxation that will be required to cover the cost of all the help given as I bet there'll be plans afoot to recoop that as quickly as possible. That's where I'd really like to see HMG drive a root and branch review of the tax system and actually make proper changes rather than tinker around the edges. Yes it'll take at least a couple of years to do properly but it's worth taking the time to do it right.
      Already been stated by "levelling up" the self employed re Sunak.
      Gove has also stated "everything will have to be paid back"
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        Already been stated by "levelling up" the self employed re Sunak.
        Gove has also stated "everything will have to be paid back"
        I know. It's the how, I'm concerned about.

FTAOD I have no issue with paying tax; I just don't like it when HMRC start moving the goal posts to collect from easy targets.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          My biggest concern is the taxation that will be required to cover the cost of all the help given as I bet there'll be plans afoot to recoup that as quickly as possible.
          Its QE money. Crisp fresh £50 notes from our royal mint. Sure it's designed to be 'reversible' borrowing, but they don't have to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            Its QE money. Crisp fresh £50 notes from our royal mint. Sure it's designed to be 'reversible' borrowing, but they don't have to do that.
            This.

However expect more austerity and tax rises to "level up" going forward.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              This.

However expect more austerity and tax rises to "level up" going forward.
              Given we have a tory government I'm hoping for a business friendly low tax environment to power us out of this mess, combined with some axe-wielding public sector 'right-sizing'.
              Apart from the NHS of course. They'll be god-like and untouchable for years to come.

Comment

Given we have a tory government I'm hoping for a business friendly low tax environment to power us out of this mess, combined with some axe-wielding public sector 'right-sizing'.
                Apart from the NHS of course. They'll be god-like and untouchable for years to come.
                Well, Sunak has already pretty much promised NI rises for the self employed, when making his offer of help.

Although how many will be able to survive till possibly the end of June remains to be seen.

I'm not talking about Ltd Co IT contractors here obvs.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Given we have a tory government I'm hoping for a business friendly low tax environment .

Comment

In fairness, corporation tax and business rates have all come down since the Tories came in.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Seems we are likely to lose 1 million businesses in the next four weeks.

Owners are having to put everything they personally have on the line. Up to 30% interest rates are putting off people from signing up to the Government's "rescue" packages.

Also told that even if they do agree they won't get any money for weeks.

Dovetails nicely with the Brexit project.

You couldn't make this stuff up
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X