• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    Negative thoughts invite negative outcome.
    High expectations lead to disappointments as well,
    But is true, I’ve always been too sceptical for my own good...

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      I have noticed there do seem to be a lot of roles looking for cloud and data science. Which is odd because I have never seen a client that exists that uses either.
      Is this a wind up?

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
        I hereby declare Christmas well and truly over. My phone has been ringing off the hook today.
        lucky you. my phone hardly rung since 1st

Comment

Why don't you understand my post?
          Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Yep, Amazon have confirmed zero sales of AWS to large businesses ever. Carry on suity.
          Sent from my CLT-L09 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

OK that's a pattern. Perhaps my post was unclear.

Let's have another go...

Not every client uses this tech. If the job market reflects that it does then perhaps the job market is to some extent smoke and mirrors.

On the other hand, to disagree with this point would either mean you have more information available to you, in which case you should be able to provide irrefutable evidence that all companies currently looking for contractors use these technologies, or that you don't have this evidence and you are choosing to accept that the market is an accurate reflection of the available roles based on no evidence whatsoever. The former is perfectly acceptable, logical and undeniable. The latter seems unwise and would give a false sense of doom to those looking for a gig but failing to find one.

State your case, but don't post these lazy come backs as it really doesn't contribute anything to the thread.
            Originally posted by pauldee View Post
            Is this a wind up?

Comment

After putting my CV online getting calls from agents saying things like "have you had any experience with integrations?"

"Well yeah.. kinda... between what and what?"
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                After putting my CV online getting calls from agents saying things like "have you had any experience with integrations?"

"Well yeah.. kinda... between what and what?"
                I am trying to be more accommodating this year. I figure most contractors would indeed take this question this way. Another way to see a vague question is to dazzle them with your brilliance :

"Integrations, sure I've done loads, from multi-source data integrations, Web api, soap, low level api, soa.... Etc"

Then you take a vague question from a toothy millennial and turn it into a sale opportunity.

Comment

Microsoft UK are on a perm hiring spree if anyone wants out. Adverts started to go out just before Christmas and there is now a flood. The usual story, nice roles, nice people, awful pay.

Regarding contract, this time last year i logged an average of 18 individual calls per day for the first three weeks of the year.

I will report back at the end of the week what 2020 did but so far the average is 1.

I did get three separate interviews for gigs before Christmas though so what is coming through is of decent quality, it’s just slow going.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
                    Microsoft UK are on a perm hiring spree if anyone wants out. Adverts started to go out just before Christmas and there is now a flood. The usual story, nice roles, nice people, awful pay.

Regarding contract, this time last year i logged an average of 18 individual calls per day for the first three weeks of the year.

I will report back at the end of the week what 2020 did but so far the average is 1.

I did get three separate interviews for gigs before Christmas though so what is coming through is of decent quality, it’s just slow going.
                    Depends on your interests. For my skillset it would easily be work from home (but a lot of travel) 6 figures.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                      OK that's a pattern. Perhaps my post was unclear.

Let's have another go...

Not every client uses this tech. If the job market reflects that it does then perhaps the job market is to some extent smoke and mirrors.

On the other hand, to disagree with this point would either mean you have more information available to you, in which case you should be able to provide irrefutable evidence that all companies currently looking for contractors use these technologies, or that you don't have this evidence and you are choosing to accept that the market is an accurate reflection of the available roles based on no evidence whatsoever. The former is perfectly acceptable, logical and undeniable. The latter seems unwise and would give a false sense of doom to those looking for a gig but failing to find one.

State your case, but don't post these lazy come backs as it really doesn't contribute anything to the thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X