• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only vaguely related, but I went to an interview a few weeks back that was in a row of offices/shops on the high street. Found the door to the office which had a giant door knocker and handle that did not turn. I really didn't know what to do, it can't be normal to knock on an office door like it's somebody's house. So I gently pushed and the door came open into a little foyer with a sofa and nobody there. I started saying "Hello...Hello..." and nobody responded. I finally wondered into an office with an old rich guy and he was like "Who are you?" Then he got all angry, told me to sit on the couch and went and started yelling at some woman in a nearby office about not watching the door.

The whole thing went downhill from there.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      It's remarkable how few companies understand that today's employee / vendor / customer is tomorrow's vendor / customer / employee and how you treat them in one way impacts how they treat you in the future.
      Correct. And its amazing how revealing these kind of situations are about the underlying competence of the organisation.

Comment

I just completed a stupid video interview - not even with an actual live person, because the candidates aren't worth that, apparently. Nope, questions on a screen and you record your answer.

They asked for feedback afterwards. Fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
          I just completed a stupid video interview - not even with an actual live person, because the candidates aren't worth that, apparently. Nope, questions on a screen and you record your answer.

Are you sure you didn't accidently stumble into a PearsonVue exam centre and have just sat an ITIL foundation exam?

Comment

i remember interviews.
            long time ago, though.
            mostly it's 'are you interested?' and
            'when can you start?'
            then
            me: 'how much?'

Comment

I remember looking at contracts on Jobserve and filtering out all the ones that matched my skills but had a daily rate below my threshold. No need for that filter anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Are you sure you didn't accidently stumble into a PearsonVue exam centre and have just sat an ITIL foundation exam?
                Haha!Questions were the usual stuff 'Why do you think you are suitable for this role?' etc. except delivered by text onto the screen.

It was a weird experience, quite alienating. Maybe I should do ITIL, have not as yet.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post

It's a quick way of doing a sanity check on 20 applicants before inviting the 3 you best like to interview.

Yep it's not great but it says more about the agency than the client unless the client insists on 1 way interviews and doesn't allow the agency to pose the questions in person.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    It's a quick way of doing a sanity check on 20 applicants before inviting the 3 you best like to interview.

Yep it's not great but it says more about the agency than the client unless the client insists on 1 way interviews and doesn't allow the agency to pose the questions in person.
                    I remember way back in the day a recruiter would insist on meeting & interviewing you before they put you forward for a role.
                    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                      I remember way back in the day a recruiter would insist on meeting & interviewing you before they put you forward for a role.
                      And what a waste of time that was, for the most part. I've trekked all over for 'we must meet you first' meetings only to discover on seeing the client that what was talked about with the agency bore no resemblance to what the client wanted to talk about.

Comment

Working...
                      X