• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simes View Post
    Had a good chat with an agent about a PM role over a couple of days.

Over 1300 applicants.

Subsequent to chat, thought I was going forward to client. And then I wasn't.

And then today it rained.
    PM is unskilled labour. Not surprising that you have so many applicants, probably most were sufficiently qualified as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
      PM is unskilled labour. Not surprising that you have so many applicants, probably most were sufficiently qualified as well.
      Well! I woke up this morning feeling fairly bright but now, already I'm feeling sorry for myself...

Minor point of contradictory contention though. How can someone be qualified at something that is unskilled? Am sure you had a point to make but it got lost, the more you wrote.

Comment

Bit like a door to door ice salesman , back before refrigeration they were all the rage and held highly prized jobs.

Not so much in demand these days

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          Well! I woke up this morning feeling fairly bright but now, already I'm feeling sorry for myself...

Minor point of contradictory contention though. How can someone be qualified at something that is unskilled? Am sure you had a point to make but it got lost, the more you wrote.
          Would you consider a retail sales associate skilled labour?

What if the job ad asked for 2 years retail experience? And an applicant had never worked in retail before?

That job is still unskilled labour and an applicant can still be not qualified for it. Maybe qualified isn't the correct word, I'm open to suggestions for a more accurate word.

As far as PM of course there is some experience required for these roles but not any hard skills. Soft skills are fully transferrable through different roles/industries so it leaves a very large labour pool that can perform the job.

Technically I guess it's not unskilled labour, that was me being a little cheeky but it's very close to a sales job in the sense that the skillset is mostly soft and almost anyone is capable of the job even though some obviously can perform at a higher level than others.

Comment

Bogus.

PM is not unskilled, market has taken a dip, most if not all projects are on hold or cancelled. Once things pick up, these PM actors will be required to carry out the necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
              Bogus.

PM is not unskilled, market has taken a dip, most if not all projects are on hold or cancelled. Once things pick up, these PM actors will be required to carry out the necessary.
              That’s so 2018 thinking

PM role is retired

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                PM role is retired
                Can you please explain why? I am a developer, so I cannot figure out why you say so? If that's because of agile etc. then every team I join claims they are agile, but no one cooks agile right. by saying agile they merely mean having standups, and yes - they do have PMs (who aren't normally in an agile world)

Comment

Originally posted by MisterLysenkiy View Post
                  Can you please explain why? I am a developer, so I cannot figure out why you say so? If that's because of agile etc. then every team I join claims they are agile, but no one cooks agile right. by saying agile they merely mean having standups, and yes - they do have PMs (who aren't normally in an agile world)
                  From an agent friend

3 years ago at Xmas they had 3000+ PM roles available
                  2 years ago they had just over a thousand
                  Last year they had a few hundred
                  At Xmas this year they had none

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    That’s so 2018 thinking

PM role is retired

Not in my world...considered the most important role on any project and that's why they get paid the highest rate.

Comment

I suspect the situation with PM is different when comparing software projects with something like business change.
                      Plenty of clients still need to transform departments, acquire business, merge them, office moves, all of that dull but necessary stuff.
                      Use Agile? don't think so.

Comment

Working...
                      X