• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
    I've seen an ad running for several weeks. Yesterday I noticed an ad saying the recruiter has the sole rights. The other ads are still running.
    Sole rights to the CVs I suspect, rather than the gig itself

Or, as I have seen yonks ago, they are the first tier agency and they have farmed out to another agency to get access to a wider contractor base so the second tier agency would get a cut but your contract would be with the first one. I don't think that happens so much any more and is highly unlikely in the case you describe.
    Last edited by ladymuck; 15 November 2019, 17:47. Reason: sentences make sure sense when you include all the words

Comment

Whatever the state of the market it's always worth looking, as something will eventually turn up. Found a in teresting potential opportunity this morning. Our client in... etc. then goes on to a lengthy cut-and-paste that kindly names the c-suite. No need for proof readers. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
        Having had a good look at the market the only conclusion one can come to is that it’s a case of silent witness with the corpse being the contract market.

Paye/IR35 etc. is irrelevant at this stage, another quarter like this and we will start to see some agency desks go under.
        In my industry and niche it's a source of amazement to me that 2-3 of the agencies at least aren't dead yet. I guess they are only afloat because of the existing gigs - cos there is zero new going on at present.

Comment

Will someone start a GoFundMe for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
            In my industry and niche it's a source of amazement to me that 2-3 of the agencies at least aren't dead yet. I guess they are only afloat because of the existing gigs - cos there is zero new going on at present.
            Would that niche be PeopleSoft?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
              Would that niche be PeopleSoft?
              Not any more - I created the account in 2007 when it was - not now.

Comment

I have had a recent run of spectacular lies from agents recently too. Fair took me back to the 00s - I think it is a sign of a deflating market.

Comment

I have had a recent run of spectacular lies from agents recently too. Fair took me back to the 00s - I think it is a sign of a deflating market.
                  You can always ask them how are they finding it?

Comment

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
                    You can always ask them how are they finding it?
                    I have asked a few - but they tend to be a bit non-commital as no-one wants to say things are bad. No-one wants to admit they are the agency with no gigs

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I have asked a few - but they tend to be a bit non-commital as no-one wants to say things are bad. No-one wants to admit they are the agency with no gigs
                      I get the impression agencies make so much money from contractors, that it would take a full on recession for them to be affected.

Comment

Working...
                      X