• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 people will be retained in their current roles, while a further 25 were told they could be moved over to work for Cognizent.

Until They train the cognizent staff up to replace them

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      Standard Life Aberdeen has had some other major business challenges for the last 2-3 years which probably caused them to focus on cost rather than anything else. In this case, I don't think all the blame on those cuts can be attributed to IR35 although it was probably a factor.
      Honestly, about time Standard life got rid of some people.

I've never worked there but know quite a few people (both contractors and permanent) who did/still do and it sounds like they've always been massively overstaffed for what was actually being delivered.

Comment

Standard life roles advertised today I see

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
          Honestly, about time Standard life got rid of some people.

I've never worked there but know quite a few people (both contractors and permanent) who did/still do and it sounds like they've always been massively overstaffed for what was actually being delivered.
          In my experience it was the opposite for Aberdeen Standard Investments. They wanted the "best or nothing" yet would throw a few contractors, one at each project, and hope the project was delivered in record time - faster than possible in an efficient place, never mind the fact it was extremely inefficient and without modern processes. As an example, their Security programme was far behind that of other finance companies, making it very difficult to quickly slot in complex projects whilst they simultaneously developed security processes.

I didn't take the role.

Comment

I got surprised with tech tests for the past two Senior roles I applied for. What the **** is the world coming to?

Comment

Originally posted by deeter View Post
              I got surprised with tech tests for the past two Senior roles I applied for. What the **** is the world coming to?
              It's becoming more of a buyer's market...

Comment

Is there a precedent for sending an invoice after you do one of those stupid things?

Comment

Last six contract interviews I had before landing the current one - three of them had tests to some level.... From whiteboard exercises to people sat on my shoulder watching me code (I mean seriously ?? - my mental health issues are far to fragile to handle that lmao). I am used to my setup and tools, with my resources and my own laptop. Drop me in a situation where I am using someone else’s setup, tools and under the pressure of an interview to code some abstract piece of tulip that means nothing to no one and usually requires you to know some math formula (looking at your fizzbuzz. i % 5 - I had no clue first time I did it lol) then yeah, even with my success record, I’m open to ******* it all up! And then you sit on my shoulder barking at me why I am doing x,y or z a certain way and thinking your just simulating a day to day working norm while I am trying to work out where the hell the End key is on your tulip laptop you are thrown in front of me - **** off lol... And ultimately the client misses out on someone who could of transformed their company because their recruitment too was this nonsense lol

The whole industry has little idea how to recruit and its why they make such bad choices time and time again.

Just ******* talk to people

If you can’t tell the good from the bad from a conversation then your in the wrong job...

End rant
                  Last edited by cojak; 18 October 2019, 20:58. Reason: No winking please.

Comment

Is there a precedent for sending an invoice after you do one of those stupid things?
                    Some places will pay you to do a “trial” day... Never had it myself but some of friends have...

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                      Last six contract interviews I had before landing the current one - three of them had tests to some level.... From whiteboard exercises to people sat on my shoulder watching me code (I mean seriously ?? - my mental health issues are far to fragile to handle that lmao)

The whole industry has little idea how to recruit and its why they make such bad choices time and time again. Just ******* talk to people If you can’t tell the good from the bad from a conversation then your in the wrong job...
                      These days, any coding tests I make sure I do at home, not with some numpty standing over.

They also get put onto github as coding examples for my company...

Comment

Working...
                      X