• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Yup, plenty of clients are asking for Scrum Masters instead of Project Managers "because Agile" and not actually realising what they need.

Many still want that Scrum Master do the PM role alongside the Scrum Master role, or wrongly assume all those PM activities have disappeared and then panic later when they realise no-one is looking after the mandatory governance activities.

I've also seen first hand where clients have mapped their PMs to Scrum Masters. The result is that things are effectively run as Waterfall projects but the plan is artificially split into sprints so that everyone can play along and use agile terminology.
    The funniest thing I was ever part of, was a sit down meeting of about 20 people, all around a table. Stuff was being said and once done, everyone had to give a verbal update as to progress in their specific area.

And to do this, everyone was directed to stand up and speak. Cos now we're like, Agile.

It was hilarious. And that was Vodafone for you.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
      The funniest thing I was ever part of, was a sit down meeting of about 20 people, all around a table. Stuff was being said and once done, everyone had to give a verbal update as to progress in their specific area.

And to do this, everyone was directed to stand up and speak. Cos now we're like, Agile.

It was hilarious. And that was Vodafone for you.
      Stage 2 of this agile transformation will be post it notes on a wall of in progress tasks..full agile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TheInvoicer View Post
        Stage 2 of this agile transformation will be post it notes on a wall of in progress tasks..full agile

A senior client guy told me recently that a 12 month project could be done in three months if we were agile. I kindly advised him that it could be done in three months if we were starting from three months before project completion.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          A senior client guy told me recently that a 12 month project could be done in three months if we were agile. I kindly advised him that it could be done in three months if we were starting from three months before project completion.
          And this really is the state of the market haha [emoji3]

Comment

After couple months on the bench finally getting some where

The market has been tough, not been getting call like previously. Have had to put in a lot of hard work to get leads and pushing them through.

Now in a position where I have 4 offers (3 contracts and 1 perm) on the table but only two that I would consider.

- An investment bank has made me a 12 month contract offer but the agency is being very ambiguous about with how they intend to proceed after April 2020 in regards IR35. It was originally only meant to be a 6 month contract.

- I have also been offered a perm role at one of the big 4 banks which is a big step in to a senior role and i'm considering this just cos i feel a recession is around the corner.

Comment

Originally posted by globalBA View Post
              The market has been tough, not been getting call like previously. Have had to put in a lot of hard work to get leads and pushing them through.

Now in a position where I have 4 offers (3 contracts and 1 perm) on the table but only two that I would consider.

- An investment bank has made me a 12 month contract offer but the agency is being very ambiguous about with how they intend to proceed after April 2020 in regards IR35. It was originally only meant to be a 6 month contract.

- I have also been offered a perm role at one of the big 4 banks which is a big step in to a senior role and i'm considering this just cos i feel a recession is around the corner.
              Good job on the 4 offers.

Between the 2 offer you're considering, I'd pick the permanent role. Agencies are not to be trusted as a default; if then they're being ambiguous about IR35, that's alarm bells ringing all over the place.

Additionally, a fair number of contractors will likely switch to permie soon and increase the competition, so a permanent job that you have secured now already you might not be able to secure in 6 months when the ambiguous contract turns out to be inside ir35.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                Good job on the 4 offers.

Between the 2 offer you're considering, I'd pick the permanent role. Agencies are not to be trusted as a default; if then they're being ambiguous about IR35, that's alarm bells ringing all over the place.

Additionally, a fair number of contractors will likely switch to permie soon and increase the competition, so a permanent job that you have secured now already you might not be able to secure in 6 months when the ambiguous contract turns out to be inside ir35.
                This is exactly my concern. It's almost certain that it will be inside IR35. Would you expect them be able to confirm for a 12 month role if the contract is inside or outside for April 2020.

I'm certain by the ambiguous responses that it will be inside IR35 and with a 12 month contract this then leave me unable to renegotiate when it switches to IR35. He hasn't explained to me the solution they have in place, I believe the Employer NI contribution will have to come from the client, but that is what I have read online, the agency hasn't confirmed that.

Comment

This is exactly my concern. It's almost certain that it will be inside IR35. Would you expect them be able to confirm for a 12 month role if the contract is inside or outside for April 2020.

I'm certain by the ambiguous responses that it will be inside IR35 and with a 12 month contract this then leave me unable to renegotiate when it switches to IR35. He hasn't explained to me the solution they have in place, I believe the Employer NI contribution will have to come from the client, but that is what I have read online, the agency hasn't confirmed that.
                  The employer NI comes out of your rate

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    The employer NI comes out of your rate

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

I will try get clarity from the agent today but i'm sure that that with the changes the agent has to collect that employer NI contribution from the client and the contractor is to pay the employee NI and Income Tax.

Comment

I will try get clarity from the agent today but i'm sure that that with the changes the agent has to collect that employer NI contribution from the client and the contractor is to pay the employee NI and Income Tax.
                      sorry I know this isn't the thread to be talking but the nuances of IR35.

Comment

Working...
                      X