• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was in the UK, I was never asked to produce certificates. I knew a couple of guys that stated they had qualifications they didn't have. One put down that had a 2:1 in Engineering, though I know he did complete the course. Another completely made up a degree, when he hadn't been to university.

For my first job in Switzerland, I was shocked that I had to supply certificates for everything on my CV and also provide a criminal record check.

Luckily I am an honest person, so it was no problem.

To be honest, day in day out I see former colleagues who have put stuff on their LinkedIn in profile, that I know they didn't do.

It would be extremely easy to get work if all the dishonest people were weeded out.

Comment

It's only the Home Office that has ever asked to see evidence of my degree, in reference to British Citizenship application.

When it's something very relevant for my role, I post a copy of that particular certificate on my LinkedIn profile, especially when it shows a good result (as it's usually the case).

Comment

Originally posted by reddog View Post
        When I was in the UK, I was never asked to produce certificates. I knew a couple of guys that stated they had qualifications they didn't have. One put down that had a 2:1 in Engineering, though I know he did complete the course. Another completely made up a degree, when he hadn't been to university.

For my first job in Switzerland, I was shocked that I had to supply certificates for everything on my CV and also provide a criminal record check.

Luckily I am an honest person, so it was no problem.

To be honest, day in day out I see former colleagues who have put stuff on their LinkedIn in profile, that I know they didn't do.

It would be extremely easy to get work if all the dishonest people were weeded out.
        Oh yes I know lots of people, some very senior in this IT biz, who have obvious lies on their CV's (to me who was working with them when what they claimed happened)

There should be negative review feedback system lol

Comment

Some years ago, I had the pleasure of doing quite a bit of work for Her Majesty's Government. Naturally, I ended up with a number of the contractors who where there at the same time in my "LinkedIn network".

Imagine my surprise to see three or four of them claiming to have done stuff that was actually done by yours truly, albeit whilst they were sitting in the same room!

Comment

I just lost an opportunity by being completely honest, whilst the guy before me clearly lied through his back teeth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebenezer View Post
              Some years ago, I had the pleasure of doing quite a bit of work for Her Majesty's Government. Naturally, I ended up with a number of the contractors who where there at the same time in my "LinkedIn network".

Imagine my surprise to see three or four of them claiming to have done stuff that was actually done by yours truly, albeit whilst they were sitting in the same room!
              Oh yes I was actually present when a large financial client walked VIP visitors around the systems that I had designed (My client was the software house), not only did they claim they the end client designed it all, the individuals from their IT department claimed to have been the individuals who did it, not once mentioning the software house that really did it, or me who was the real lead designer! And these clowns didnt even know who I was so remote from reality were they, they were just out to claim glory. You can imagine my feelings when I see such people make claims like this on linkedin.

But hey they also claim big data, and IoT, and whatever else is the latest buzzword so they must be good? right?

Comment

Last week was wiped out by the flu but not finding any New Year bounce so far. Agents who seemed quite bullish lat week have suddenly gone quiet.

Time to dig in. Again.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                  I just lost an opportunity by being completely honest, whilst the guy before me clearly lied through his back teeth.
                  In other words, he told them what they wanted to hear while you didnt. Harsh but true.

Comment

Received an offer today. Even better waiting to hear back from a nearer and better paid contract.

January was deathly quiet but the move into February seemed to wake the market up for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
                      Sometimes that tactic works, sometimes it doesn't. No way of knowing unfortunately
                      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X