• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Well I have always been lucky so far and is a risk I am willing to take. I can commute into London so there is less of a need to be away from home.
    I think you are missing out on some great opportunities by not being willing to travel, however I accept that everyone is different

Comment

London here and looking as if usual client is taking an age to offer a very small extension. Burning cash here so looking, and not seeing a lot.

Also, what's MIFID when it's at home? Swear every Tom Dick and Harry wasn't asking for that last time around.
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
        London here and looking as if usual client is taking an age to offer a very small extension. Burning cash here so looking, and not seeing a lot.

Also, what's MIFID when it's at home? Swear every Tom Dick and Harry wasn't asking for that last time around.
        MIFID 2 deadline is before 2018. So half a year left.

Comment

Just been looking for C#/.NET jobs in London the last couple of months. Things seem pretty grim. Thankfully it looks like my current contract is being extended for another few months, so the can will be kicked down the road a bit longer.

Things I've noticed:

1. Lots more very good candidates about.
          2. Agents not really hassling you if you don't reply to emails about interviews etc.
          3. Many vacancies from companies who continually recruit (e.g. Reed, TotalJobs). These places have vacancies for a reason...
          4. Lots more testing involved, e.g. the Houses of Parliament asked me to do a mini-project which I estimated to be a week's work. And that's before the first interview stage. The sad thing is I am currently working for a political organisation and have picked up valuable domain experience. But they'd rather discriminate against people who are busy. Anyway, I will stick to my no-home-coding-tests policy.
          5. Lots of inappropriate testing, e.g. St John Ambulance setting a tremendously difficult C# test for a bog standard web app support role. 90% of what was in the test I have never needed to know in 15 years of ASP.NET/MVC dev.
          Lots of immigrant devs around as well - agent mailed me an Indian's CV by mistake and they were seeking around 20% less than a native would ask for. And yet my FB "friends" rubbish my claims that immigration holds down salaries.
          6. If you are looking then I would say outside London is probably better.

Other than that the usual rubbish about needing version 1.11.2.4 of a specific tool and no training ever offered to candidates who might be lacking that rarer skill such as Umbraco or SiteCore.

Wish I could wind the clock back and have gone into accountancy or law...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnM View Post
            I think you are missing out on some great opportunities by not being willing to travel, however I accept that everyone is different
            It does depend on your family situation. If you have young kids, you don't want to miss those years. If you're Mrs MF, then a 12 monther in Iraq is ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              It does depend on your family situation. If you have young kids, you don't want to miss those years. If you're Mrs MF, then a 12 monther in Iraq is ideal.
              Absolutely, providing she has the appropriate fully comprehensive insurances in place first.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Absolutely, providing she has the appropriate fully comprehensive insurances in place first.
                £10,000,000 if he makes it back? Would soften the blow a little.

Comment

Still looking a bit quiet
                  ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

It is. I am now considering an inside IR35 role, away from home. Planning to take it rather than being in bench.

Comment

Until or if ever the EU passporting battle over client onboarding rules are settled its not going to change much unless the project is an urgent requirement or someone leaves & they need a replacement many projects are being put on hold. Its not looking very realistic that the EU & UK can agree on this either they are worlds apart so unless there is a sensible approach from the EU towards Brexit cannot see much changing in the next month or so. Perhaps when the UK general election (all Brexit talks are suspended until then) is finished they will sit down together have a sensible discussion & agree the way forward but when you see some of the negative comments leaked (by the EU) from recent meetings its clear any agreement is probably highly unlikely as EU would love to break the UK financial services sector up and push it into the EU when UK leaves. This uncertainty along with cost cutting appears to be the main reasons why the Financial Service's sector jobs role wise is suffering and pulling the entire service sector down with it.

Comment

Working...
                      X