• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
    Here is more of the same self serving flannel this time from Deloitte warning the PM British jobs will go abroad if she limits immigration! They are going abroad already so not sure how long it takes for the numpties @ Westminster to understand that!! We need to revoke all foreign IT visa's now that's what they have done in US & Australia before so why can UK not do that now?
    PM warned British jobs may go abroad if she limits immigration
    Deloitte have said that? All they're f****** doing is bringing abroad over here.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

There is nothing wrong with immigration if it is reciprocated. If Deloitte are sending British staff abroad as well then it might be fair enough. Similarly several people here have worked in Europe before so it is a two way street.

The problem with the system is a lot of Indian Contractors came over a few years ago because of a skill shortage, of which if there was one it was for localised skills at best, now have leave to remain and there is no chance for any of us to work in India.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
        There is nothing wrong with immigration if it is reciprocated. If Deloitte are sending British staff abroad as well then it might be fair enough. Similarly several people here have worked in Europe before so it is a two way street.

The problem with the system is a lot of Indian Contractors came over a few years ago because of a skill shortage, of which if there was one it was for localised skills at best, now have leave to remain and there is no chance for any of us to work in India.
        When I work abroad I pay at least as much tax as the locals, I pay my own medical bills, and pay for my own kids education, I don't steal that countries intellectual property, and I go because I have skills not available locally

None of this applies to the vast numbers coming here with the outsourcers

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
          When I work abroad I pay at least as much tax as the locals, I pay my own medical bills, and pay for my own kids education, I don't steal that countries intellectual property, and I go because I have skills not available locally

None of this applies to the vast numbers coming here with the outsourcers
          I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
            i cant understand the financial benefit to a company of getting in outsourcers over individual contractors. The outsourcers cost a LOT more and the people they send are usually just out of school having been put on a crash course in whatever the technology is.

why cant they train uk citizens instead?

no wonder america voted trump and lest we forget the uk voted BREXIT
            The financial benefit is in the way the numbers are presented. it is only about numbers. somebody wants a cheaper solution. outsourcers put in a cheap price. the deal gets done. they pay way more than that cheap price. too late. but some have realised it ain't working and have started insourcing.

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            The key problem is that contracting is very dependent on the finance industry and interest rates were dropped, on top of that the banks (for obvious reasons) may need to go through some "reorg". Now that doesn't mean jobs will necessarily be shifted other than the usual offshoring, it just means it's going to be a financial hit so they have to cut costs elsewhere.

If you're not in finance it shouldn't be too bad.
            if you're not in finance you are competing with others in your own industry plus those who can't work in finance, over the past 4 years the influx of finance into my industry (travel and airlines) has pushed rates down as supply exceeds demand.
            This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
              if you're not in finance you are competing with others in your own industry plus those who can't work in finance, over the past 4 years the influx of finance into my industry (travel and airlines) has pushed rates down as supply exceeds demand.
              What is this whole thing with 'being in an industry'? So if you're in travel, you can't cross over into finance??? Your industry is IT. I have been a developer in automotive manufacture, waste water treatment, printing, public sector and finance amongst many others. Are people on here really limiting themselves to one sector and then complaining they can't get work?

Comment

Originally posted by pauldee View Post
                What is this whole thing with 'being in an industry'? So if you're in travel, you can't cross over into finance??? Your industry is IT. I have been a developer in automotive manufacture, waste water treatment, printing, public sector and finance amongst many others. Are people on here really limiting themselves to one sector and then complaining they can't get work?
                Some industries do require a certain amount of knowledge that can take time to build up so they prefer people with past experience in that industry (as the learning curve is lower).

Its a great wave to surf when things are going well not so good when things change...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You'd be surprised how many want to stick to one industry. Want, or have to, otherwise the next time they want to go back, they will be told "you are a bit all over the place, aren't you?" I don't have that problem, I sell my experience with different industries as an asset.
                  You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

There are some technologies that are only used in one industry sector so even if you wanted to you cannot move industries. I know a contractor who can only work in the financial sector due to this. He could reskill but since he's near retirement age there is no point.

Like you I work in multiple sectors however I've found that due to takeovers some of my clients have started in one sector then ended up in another...
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
                      You'd be surprised how many want to stick to one industry. Want, or have to, otherwise the next time they want to go back, they will be told "you are a bit all over the place, aren't you?" I don't have that problem, I sell my experience with different industries as an asset.
                      Yep, I realised long ago that my BA domain is Service Management, this is the reason that I've worked in different industries.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X