• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

Heaven forfend anyone try to inject a bit of warmth into that website.

Back to insincere share posts about some company's latest product that no one cares about
    Go to FB for warmth, LI is supposed to be a place to connect with professionals, so latest product announcements are what you are meant to be seeing there, not some crap about crazy wild cats, people redoing their driveway or saying they will have to put their pet down if they can't get a bloody job.

Comment

Things are dire! I’m at my wits end and been looking for 6 months it’s horrendous at that moment. All the palaver about references etc the job didn’t materialise.

So many dead ends….got one today saying oh they took someone internally just wasted agency and candidates time again.

I’ve seen lots of begging on LI one guy posted a pic of his daughter saying no Xmas or presents for her if I don’t get a job …seeing lot of this type of stuff now!

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
        one guy posted a pic of his daughter saying no Xmas or presents for her if I don’t get a job …seeing lot of this type of stuff now!
        That's how the central bankers bring down the inflation they created, parents too broke to buy xmas presents for the kids

Comment

I’ve seen lots of begging on LI one guy posted a pic of his daughter saying no Xmas or presents for her if I don’t get a job …seeing lot of this type of stuff now!
          Who would ever want to hire someone like that?

As for dead ends, what i'm pulling my hair out at is how long so many roles are taking. More than a few roles have been super urgent backfills. Yet they are taking a week to send to HM then 2 week to arrange interviews. All while knowing there is a 6 week delay due to vetting. So you're super urgent role takes minimum of 10 weeks?

Comment

Look at the post from the guy that's emptied his LTD and is struggling now. Approaching a linked in post like that, although might be true, I don't think is helpful though.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post
              I think what we're seeing is more and more people in despair. After months of rejections and no success, remaining positive is hard as I'm sure many of us know from past experience. It's also quite challenging to see an end to this stagflation and a return to growth, so I don't know how people can even judge how long this downturn will last. We are told that inflation is falling. Big deal. We need actual costs to fall; not everyone is getting inflation level income increases.

It's easy to say, stay strong, remain optimistic, but with bills to pay and no end in sight, I'm inclined to cut people some slack.
              I'd like to think that clients / employers will still see through to experience and skills even if mood is a little off.

As for LinkedIn ... sycophants talking up employers, photos of pets and sprogs, repeated adverts for things I'm not interested in ... it's yawnsome.

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

I think what we're seeing is more and more people in despair. After months of rejections and no success, remaining positive is hard as I'm sure many of us know from past experience. It's also quite challenging to see an end to this stagflation and a return to growth, so I don't know how people can even judge how long this downturn will last. We are told that inflation is falling. Big deal. We need actual costs to fall; not everyone is getting inflation level income increases.

It's easy to say, stay strong, remain optimistic, but with bills to pay and no end in sight, I'm inclined to cut people some slack.
                I'd like to think that clients / employers will still see through to experience and skills even if mood is a little off.

As for LinkedIn ... sycophants talking up employers, photos of pets and sprogs, repeated adverts for things I'm not interested in ... it's yawnsome.
                I agree, What i've seen and heard it seems to be about 3 months before people start noticing the negative mood. I'm the first one to cut those people slack.

Surely we are all of similar mindset? No matter how much are skillset market rate is, if needs be and times were really tough we would be delivering pizza and stacking shelves, not trying to emotionally manipulate people on LI to give us a job.

Inflation isn't falling, this months data is very iffy due to energy price cap. All the other groups are showing persistent inflation levels.

Comment

"I'd tramped the length and breadth o' the fen;
                  But never a farmer wanted men;
                  Naught doing anywhere.
                  A great calm moon rose back o' the mill,
                  And I told myself it was God's will
                  Who went hungry and who went fed.
                  I tried to whistle; I tried to be brave;
                  But the new ploughed fields smelt dank as the grave
                  And I wished I were dead."

On a positive note the FTSE 250 is up 2000 points in the last two weeks. The stock market is hoping the worst is behind us.
                  Last edited by Fraidycat; 16 November 2023, 02:01.

Comment

Exactly this, absolutely no idea who thinks this approach works. I'm fine with despair and desperation and simply asking if anyone knows anyone who might be looking for people etc. even stating how bad your situation is (ie. how long you've been looking, linking to stuff you've done, your refs etc.), but getting your kids involved in it is a bit too much.

As for dead ends, what i'm pulling my hair out at is how long so many roles are taking. More than a few roles have been super urgent backfills. Yet they are taking a week to send to HM then 2 week to arrange interviews. All while knowing there is a 6 week delay due to vetting. So you're super urgent role takes minimum of 10 weeks?
                    Perhaps the roles aren't urgent then? no budgets approved yet? "urgent" typically means people will send tulip through faster as they are afraid the role will disappear.

Comment

Just got boomed. Posted a mini rant online and a fellow contractor saw it said their company was hiring, interview next day, offer today.

Someone has an expensive bottle of whisky going their way.

Comment

Working...
                      X