• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post

My accountant is on holiday, can they be expensed?

Unrelated question but if not how would I remove something I bought accidentally from my company credit card statement
    Actually i'm not even sure how many of those venues survived after lockdowns. I guess those contractors work remotely now via OF.
    Last edited by Fraidycat; 1 November 2023, 16:23.

Comment

Another bad omen.

PWC are being forced to make 600 UK redundancies instead of freezing of hiring due to a substantial drop in their attrition rate. Big 4 always have a high attrition rate, lot of people do a few years and then leave with a nice name on their CV and get an instant 30% pay rise.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post
        Another bad omen.

PWC are being forced to make 600 UK redundancies instead of freezing of hiring due to a substantial drop in their attrition rate. Big 4 always have a high attrition rate, lot of people do a few years and then leave with a nice name on their CV and get an instant 30% pay rise.
        Oooft, it must be really bad out there if people working in one of the big 4 can't/don't want to leave

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

Oooft, it must be really bad out there if people working in one of the big 4 can't/don't want to leave
          Absolutely how I read it. I think it's news that will go over the head of those who haven't worked for Big 4. The only reason vast majority work for them is the name on their CV. If they are struggling to land an exit then the market is in a far worst state than we are being lead to believe.

Comment

Absolutely how I read it. I think it's news that will go over the head of those who haven't worked for Big 4. The only reason vast majority work for them is the name on their CV. If they are struggling to land an exit then the market is in a far worst state than we are being lead to believe.
            You’re right. The labour market stats put out by ONS are acknowledged (by themselves and others) to be probably unrepresentative. Their labour market survey (which informs the stats) response rates were around 50% 10 years ago and now around 15%.

They are in the process of overhauling the data collection methodology and expect the new more reliable stats to debut in the spring.

I would have thought HMRC and DWP data combined would give a better picture of the job market than surveys of employers and employees but I’m sure the ONS know more about this than me.

Comment

Another bad omen.

I reckon they weren't really affected by the over-hiring in the Covid period?

I'm planning to leave the UK next year, but from what I'm seeing markets aren't that superb in the rest of Europe either.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                I reckon they weren't really affected by the over-hiring in the Covid period?

I'm planning to leave the UK next year, but from what I'm seeing markets aren't that superb in the rest of Europe either.
                Are you sure you don’t want to wait around until the India trade-and-visas deal is signed? According to the govt, that’s going to turbocharge our growth.

Here’s the latest wheeze on the visa front
                https://www.gov.uk/india-young-profe...ls-scheme-visa

Comment

Originally posted by sreed View Post

Are you sure you don’t want to wait around until the India trade-and-visas deal is signed? According to the govt, that’s going to turbocharge our growth.

So the UK left the EU block which offered access to a huge market of people with higher education (a stone throw away) and decided to sign a deal for visa-based entry from India so they can hire en-masse without having to pay as much? if by "turbocharge" they mean exploit to get much more and pay less, then sure thing. Are they going to work 70hrs a week then?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-67269976

Comment

Originally posted by sreed View Post

Is it any wonder rates are on their arse? £ 300 a day inside IR35 is a massive amount of money to those applicants. All shacked up in a rented property to minimise costs, sending the balance home.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                      Are they going to work 70hrs a week then?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-67269976
                      Astonishing. I can’t believe that there’s an actual debate about a 70 hour work week triggered by Rishi’s father-in-law spouting off on a podcast
                      “So, therefore, my request is that our youngsters must say, 'This is my country. I'd like to work 70 hours a week”

Someone should ask Rishi if he agrees with his father-in-law, it sounds like an election winner to me!

Comment

Working...
                      X