• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract rates are definitely lower because supply is greater than demand.

I suspect permie salaries are also lower for similar reasons...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Whilst looking I was struggling to get an average to compare to pre IR35 legislation levels. The outside rates I saw seemed in a fairly narrow range and generally what I'd expect but with the majority of gigs being inside and them being anything between 300 and 800 a day I can't gauge whether it's generally gone down over all
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

+1. It has definitely gone down. In the Data Engineering domain it's now around 55K - 60K, whereas it was £70K - £85K before.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post

+1. It has definitely gone down. In the Data Engineering domain it's now around 55K - 60K, whereas it was £70K - £85K before.
          Holy smokes that is a hefty drop is this simply driven by the sheer amount of candidates on the market?

Comment

Financial Services, definitely been a drop in perm salaries. I would say the salary bands have stayed the same but new starters get put near the very bottom whereas during 2022 you could easily be very near the top. Depends on the bank but a band can be £20k top to bottom.

Comment

I remember having a conversation with an Agent back in late 2001, it was a face to face meeting in his office. The contract market had busted and he asked me what perm salary I would consider, I said 70K (that was the going rate for top end developers in 2001). He laughed and said 'you are not going to get more than 50K now' . That was 22 years ago

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

I remember having a conversation with an Agent back in late 2001, it was a face to face meeting in his office. The contract market had busted and he asked me what perm salary I would consider, I said 70K (that was the going rate for top end developers in 2001). He laughed and said 'you are not going to get more than 50K now' . That was 22 years ago
                Back in 2005, the second year of my contracting career, the client, a retail bank in the North of England wanted to move from hourly to day rates. We'd been hammering the hours and I'd kept a spreadsheet of mine. It equated to a day rate of £ 450 and that's what I got. In today's money that would be around £ 756.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/mone...ion-calculator

Didn't have any expenses either other than a short commute to site and free parking most days.

Little did I realise back then, when I had my eye on the London investment banking sector, that I'd already peaked (in financial terms).

The good old days!

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

You don't have to go that far. Even during 2021 around July, Perm market was Ok but I wasn't interested. Now everything has come very close the level of Civil service perm role rates (a.k.a rubbish).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 15.24.47.png
Views:	499
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	4275803

Comment

You don't have to go that far. Even during 2021 around July, Perm market was Ok but I wasn't interested. Now everything has come very close the level of Civil service perm role rates (a.k.a rubbish).
                    The nature of the cyclical IT jobs market, we go from being treated like Kings to be treated like Grunts.

Comment

Anywho it's still slim pickings out there.

qh

He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X