• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
    I don't even consider Inside IR35 to be contracting. It's just temp employment under a different name.
    I have to say I've never really understood the difference between the two (contracting and temp employment).

Comment

Originally posted by 6128k View Post

I've boomed with my 3rd interview! The role is inside, so this will be a new experience, but at least it's 100% remote.
      Just be careful around the 13.8% deduction for apprentice levy and employers NICS.

Ask if they apply or not, if they do apply and its a surprise to you, ask for a rate bump. There's two threads (at least) in the other part of the forum about it.

As for the difference between temp employee and contractor this (13.8% barely legal but may not be legal deduction from your date rate) is one shining example of a big difference that, surprisingly, not many people seem to know about in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post

Just be careful around the 13.8% deduction for apprentice levy and employers NICS.

Ask if they apply or not, if they do apply and its a surprise to you, ask for a rate bump. There's two threads (at least) in the other part of the forum about it.

As for the difference between temp employee and contractor this (13.8% barely legal but may not be legal deduction from your date rate) is one shining example of a big difference that, surprisingly, not many people seem to know about in this thread.
        You say that but I've noticed a lot more places are listing PAYE rate. ie £500 + 17% for employer costs. I think it will eventually become the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

You say that but I've noticed a lot more places are listing PAYE rate. ie £500 + 17% for employer costs. I think it will eventually become the norm.
          That isn't PAYE rate - it's missing holiday pay - which would add another 12.07% to employer costs.

Reed (I think) tried to introduce the concept of enhanced pay which was PAYE with holiday pay included within the hourly rate but I don't think that got any traction...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

That isn't PAYE rate - it's missing holiday pay - which would add another 12.07% to employer costs.
            Yep, also sick days (including long-term sickness insurance), probably some sort of pension contributions, maybe other bens such as private health, eye tests, glasses costs etc. Trivial bits and bobs some of those, but it all adds up.

Comment

I'm currently disappointed somehow by the market, even though it's not a new sensation for me. I'm optimistic that by the end of August or September, things will pick up. Several people from my circle are currently "on the bench" as well.

I reached out to someone on LinkedIn who has over 20 years of experience in front-end development since they are actively looking for their next contract. They mentioned that the market is decent, although the rates are somewhat lower. I may not be at the top tier yet, but hearing a more optimistic perspective is encouraging, even though that doesn't pay the bills.
              Last edited by andromedan; 16 August 2023, 22:07.

Comment

Had a good chat with an agent yesterday who confirmed that the market isn't great but they're expecting it to pick up in Sept/Oct. Apparently there's been a lot of contract to perm conversions going on.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Had a good chat with an agent yesterday who confirmed that the market isn't great but they're expecting it to pick up in Sept/Oct. Apparently there's been a lot of contract to perm conversions going on.
                  In response to this thread and the one above, one of my mates with around 25 years experience as a contractor has been forced to go perm as there was just nothing outside he could find.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Did they say what that expectation is based on?

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Did they say what that expectation is based on?
                      Conversations with clients about upcoming projects for the most part

Comment

Working...
                      X