• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    [...]they layoff permies and hire contractors to replace them? Never been much of believer in that theory myself, but some on here have said that happens..
    On my current contract I was taken on as the client had a freeze on perm hires but still needed people in a niche area - this in itself actually makes sense, but laying off perms and taking on contractors seem like shooting yourself in the foot.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

On my current contract I was taken on as the client had a freeze on perm hires but still needed people in a niche area - this in itself actually makes sense, but laying off perms and taking on contractors seem like shooting yourself in the foot.
      Depends.

flexible resourcing requires a mix. Keep a baseline of low cost perms, and flex up or down with contractors. Not hiring new perms just means the baseline resource has been met.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Yup, flexing up / down with contractors I get, what makes little sense, to me at least, is ditching perms and hiring contractors (unless you have tulip perms, then yeah maybe).

Comment

Yup, flexing up / down with contractors I get, what makes little sense, to me at least, is ditching perms and hiring contractors (unless you have tulip perms, then yeah maybe).
          It doesn't make much sense for small clients. But if Big Corp is a doing a large layoff round and some permies are needed for just another six months or a year. Might just be easier to sweep them into the current redundancy round. And replace them with contractors for six months or a year.
          Last edited by Fraidycat; 17 July 2023, 18:04.

Comment

reducing the baseline

and they’re tulip as well
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

reducing the baseline

and they’re tulip as well
              can be other motivations too, simply want perm headcount to look low to convince investors (or the govt in the case of public sector) that they are being efficient. sometimes if the pension fund is problematic there can be a drive to stop new joiners for a while during attempts to fix it. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post

can be other motivations too, simply want perm headcount to look low to convince investors (or the govt in the case of public sector) that they are being efficient. sometimes if the pension fund is problematic there can be a drive to stop new joiners for a while during attempts to fix it. etc.
                This is what I've seen in the past. Some research analyst says company X has staffing costs 5% higher than its main competitors, investors ask why, CEO sends the edict to ditch 5% or more of permanent staff. My client manager at the time had to find 5% of a team of 12-13 permies to get rid of. They were all really good, they were definitely missed when they went. Meanwhile we contractors who were sitting there waiting for the chop were left alone, no rate change, nothing, apparently because our cost was hidden in a different budget.

Comment

In my experience, contractors are usually hired when there is a new or existing project that needs to be completed. The company usually has a project budget and contractors are payed from this accordingly. Hence why we are chopped when the budget has run out.

This is why there seems to be a slow down, much like when COVID19 hit, projects are on hold. However the other side will then be a shortage of skills and people. Just hoping that the valley is not too deep. That being said some companies can rarely afford to stop project work as the customer/system/regulations maybe demanding the changes.

Comment

Originally posted by SchumiStars View Post
                    That being said some companies can rarely afford to stop project work as the customer/system/regulations maybe demanding the changes.
                    Google is saying anywhere between 1 million and 2.5 million tech workers in the UK, depending on the source. So plenty of workers to make those changes and keep things ticking along. There is no mad rush for innovation at the moment, except in AI, but not sure how much of that we are seeing here in the UK. Silicon Valley has been going mad for it the last six months. Venture Capitalists are pumping Billions into AI over there. The UK is seen as a bit of an economic basket case by Americans at the moment.
                    Last edited by Fraidycat; 19 July 2023, 01:42.

Comment

Some good news for a change. Huge rally today in the FTSE 250 on the back of the better than expected inflation data.

Markets now expecting interest rates to peak later this year, instead of early next year.

Comment

Working...
                      X