• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsc View Post

AI doesn't need to do everything, it's enough for example it produces smth which can be further tweaked by one senior eng and released without the need for say 3 people. Don't forget often AI is tulipe as it's not trained on a particular subject, narrow the training data block and it will outperform humans.

​​​​
    AI will produce 1,000s of lines of lovely code, tests, and config. And none of it will work. The real developers won't be "tweaking" this code; they'll need to spend weeks and months effectively re-writing it.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

AI will produce 1,000s of lines of lovely code, tests, and config. And none of it will work. The real developers won't be "tweaking" this code; they'll need to spend weeks and months effectively re-writing it.
      Developers write the tests, get AI to write the code to pass those tests. After all, actually writing the code is the monkey work - determining and defining the logic is the bit that needs brains.

Those that don't think AI is a threat to the volume of code that will, in future, be written by humans, is very short-sighted. It won't destroy coding, but it will change it significantly.
      Last edited by Paralytic; 22 May 2023, 12:55.

Comment

It reminds of the tool we used to automatically check code, flag inefficiencies and make automated recommendations. It once generated a very damaging bug as someone selected the recommendation without understanding the ramifications.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

We are talking properly trained "spec-ops" AI not a random outsourcing company that copy / pastes stuff found on the internet. AI can produce fully working code in a blink of an eye, very handy if you are trying to make drivers for stuff you've never seen for example. Saying it won't work / won't change anything is an understatement of the year.

Comment

What an odd thing to say.
            ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Almost all perspective clients in my area (Edinburgh/Glasgow) are now pushing for a return to the office; minimum 1 day a week, more commonly 2 days a week, some companies even 3 days in the office...madness.

Coincidentally, I'm kinda tired of living in a city so with the fam we're discussing the possibility of moving to the Highlands for a better quality of life and to deal with less annoying people. So here I go scouting the virtually non existent UX/UI market of the Highlands and I stumble upon this digital agency advertising for a permie UI designer role (very vague job spec and role advertised more than 1 year ago). I send an email and the guy replies saying yes the vacancy is still open. I ask for more info and the agency wants a designer with experience in:
              • UX/UI
              • User Research
              • Print/Logo/Web design
              • Brand design
              • Html, Javascript and CSS
              • Motion graphics
              I start to understand why the role is still open 1 year after it was advertised. Just for the laughs I ask for the salary and the guy replies with pride that the role offers a pretty competitive salary for the area: 35k a year. Oh the highland folks, so pure and simple...

Comment

I just had a recruiter send me an InMail for a 300 outside fully remote frontend contract ( I never had a contract with this rate). I'm still in a contract that ends soon but in the last month that my profile is open I never had any inMails apart from perm "opportunities".
                Last edited by andromedan; 22 May 2023, 18:40.

Comment

The Scala market seems pretty dead at the moment and approaches have dropped from several per day to maybe one per week.

I wonder how many recruiters have been let go over the past few months because even time-wasters and CV harvesters seem thin on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
                    The Scala market seems pretty dead at the moment and approaches have dropped from several per day to maybe one per week.

I wonder how many recruiters have been let go over the past few months because even time-wasters and CV harvesters seem thin on the ground.
                    Heard from a recruiter I deal with on my current contract that HR / recruitment is currently going through a dead phase pretty much across all companies, so I guess it's not the ideal sector to be in.

Comment

I am a UX and i took a break in January to spend time with my family. Now that I was thinking of going back to work I can't seem to find any contracts. There are a good number of permanent openings but contracting is dead. As if IR35 was not enough. Not sure when you see a turnaround all i hear is that we have avoided recession and that businesses are cautious and we may see some recovery signs by the end of this year.

Comment

Working...
                      X