• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
    Here's a quick way to get a feel for the job postings
    ITJobsWatch - Developer Contracts advertised in the last 3 months - comparing 2020 with the same 3 month periods in 2019 and 2018
    Link

    2020: 3,701
    2019: 10,392
    2018: 14,734

    Percentage wise, the number of developer jobs compared with the size of the market hasn't changed much.
    As you can see, decimated...
    Also you need to factor in the likelihood that at the moment, a lot of listed jobs are also fake. Usually listed by agencies who have little or nothing on their books. They're probably making some revenue by harvesting data at the mo.

    Comment


      Originally posted by dogzilla View Post
      Sounds dire. I'm fortunate my skillset and experience seem to be in demand right now. I secured another role to tide me over to March for a Swiss company. They're saving loads of money running an English speaking team because we're way cheaper than Swiss nationals who are at least 40% more expensive.
      Indians : British = British : Swiss

      Comment


        Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Lol

        Live senior it project manager roles = 2

        Things are looking up


        Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
        Just takes the 1 gig to come through and gravy...

        Comment


          Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          Lol

          Live senior it project manager roles = 2

          Things are looking up


          Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
          PM's? - Powerpoint Monkeys.
          waste of space, most of them.
          no idea, just feckin box tickers.
          NOOOOO!! - not the Blue wire!!

          Comment


            Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
            That's standard behaviour for agents over the past 10 years. They basically transitioned from using TCP protocol to UDP to communicate: connectionless and unreliable .
            Very good analogy
            The one main difference is UDP at least works with real packets, recruitment agents/(low lives) work with fake jobs.

            I just cannot believe they do this at the time of this dire situation knowingly that they are messing up with (real) peoples' lives. Hence they are low life.

            I really wish they go through some real pain in their lives too for all this.

            Comment


              Originally posted by jainnode View Post
              PM's? - Powerpoint Monkeys.
              waste of space, most of them.
              no idea, just feckin box tickers.
              So very true


              Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

              Comment


                Originally posted by cwah View Post
                I have 2 recruiters I thought were good lead and said I would be the perfect candidate. After a chat they said would contact me back.

                Never happened. I already sent a first reminder. Wondering what's happening!!
                When will people realise that recruiters tell every single person they speak to* that they are the perfect candidate. On the off chance you are, they don't want to have lost you to another gig and hope you won't look elsewhere whiLst they're off looking for a better prefect candidate.

                Take everything they say with a pinch of hair gel.

                *If you've ever had a recruiter not tell you this, best pack in this contracting game
                Last edited by Paralytic; 10 September 2020, 15:02.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by edison View Post
                  ATS systems can struggle with tables, boxes, too many fonts etc that then screw up your CV when it gets imported. If uploading your CV online, best keep it fairly plain and in a simple format.
                  Dear me. OK I have indeed removed the text-boxes and made it simple flowing text + DOCX format.
                  Hopefully it can deal with it!

                  Where was this ATS system sourced from ? Perhaps from some free open-source github project that has been abandoned now, and was just created to show off some developer's skill that they can write some, Hello world, code?

                  Perhaps, we should simply use notepad to write the CV, to keep it even simpler, given the skills of the pimps and the state of the software they tend to use for keywords search lottery.
                  Last edited by CosmicWave; 10 September 2020, 14:59.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by CosmicWave View Post
                    Dear me. OK I have indeed removed the text-boxes and made it simple flowing text + DOCX format.
                    Hopefully it can deal with it!

                    Where was this ATS system sourced from ? Perhaps from some free open-source github project that has been abandoned now, and was just created to show off some developer's skill that they can write some, Hello world, code?

                    Perhaps, we should simply use notepad to write the CV, to keep it even simpler, given the skills of the pimps and the state of the software they tend to use for keywords search lottery.
                    I think you're putting too much focus on the file format of your CV. If the initial CV keyword match gets it in front of a pair of eyes, and the recruiter thinks you're a candidate that could earn them commission, they'll use whatever format you have provided (or may ask you for a Word DOC if you did provide a PDF).

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                      I think you're putting too much focus on the file format of your CV. If the initial CV keyword match gets it in front of a pair of eyes, and the recruiter thinks you're a candidate that could earn them commission, they'll use whatever format you have provided (or may ask you for a Word DOC if you did provide a PDF).
                      I agree, you are right. But in dire times and you feel helpless considering you have done all you could and nothing seems to work, then ... you tend to question all silly things like these... what to do.

                      I know my pdf has worked well so far.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X