• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds dire. I'm fortunate my skillset and experience seem to be in demand right now. I secured another role to tide me over to March for a Swiss company. They're saving loads of money running an English speaking team because we're way cheaper than Swiss nationals who are at least 40% more expensive.

Might see more of that. There are a lot of multi-national companies running English projects. Know a few people doing similar.

Might be worth reaching out to European agencies if you can't get anything onshore.

Comment

I have 2 recruiters I thought were good lead and said I would be the perfect candidate. After a chat they said would contact me back.

Never happened. I already sent a first reminder. Wondering what's happening!!

Comment

Originally posted by dogzilla View Post
        Sounds dire. I'm fortunate my skillset and experience seem to be in demand right now. I secured another role to tide me over to March for a Swiss company. They're saving loads of money running an English speaking team because we're way cheaper than Swiss nationals who are at least 40% more expensive.

Might see more of that. There are a lot of multi-national companies running English projects. Know a few people doing similar.

Might be worth reaching out to European agencies if you can't get anything onshore.
        Was that in switzerland or uk? What day rate?

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
          I've had quite a few interviews this week and last week with large companies. All of these gigs were marketed to me as "urgent" but during these interviews & the general recruitment process, there is no sense of urgency at all from companies. They simply don't give a toss.

For example, one company I'm interviewing with had two perm headcount pre-covid (for 2 different roles) but they got changed into contract gigs due to the pandemic - they said these headcount have been open since January and need to be filled urgently. I interviewed well for both roles and got through to 2nd round, and still no slots provided for either. I felt like they're not sure if they want to hire anyone at all and it wouldn't surprise me if both roles get dropped as Covid wave 2 and Brexit is starting to bite.

Slightly more bizarrely, two others were maternity cover, (12 month gigs) so they need someone in ASAP to do a handover etc., again made it through to next rounds and still no news (after 1-2 weeks. I was told only 3 candidates including myself were being interviewed, yet no noise. Maybe they told me I got through, but secretly I didn't get through

Tldr; there was a small ray of hope as of last week but the market's turned to tulip again and likely wont improve as we near winter.
          If there's one ray of hope, the covid lockdown baby boom will give us plenty of maternity cover contracts in a few months time..

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
            Read somewhere recently that the building industry is pushing the numbers up and that "white collar" market is dead for now without much hope for now at least.

Also, even with new jobs being advertised, I reckon most are well below pre-Covid market rates, so growth might actually mean very little :/
            Here's a quick way to get a feel for the job postings
            ITJobsWatch - Developer Contracts advertised in the last 3 months - comparing 2020 with the same 3 month periods in 2019 and 2018
            Link

2020: 3,701
            2019: 10,392
            2018: 14,734

Percentage wise, the number of developer jobs compared with the size of the market hasn't changed much.
            As you can see, decimated...

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
              If there's one ray of hope, the covid lockdown baby boom will give us plenty of maternity cover contracts in a few months time..
              Excellent point

By the looks of it, the economy is so bad that companies are going to make women continue working through pregnancy just to avoid paying for contractors

Comment

Originally posted by cwah View Post
                I have 2 recruiters I thought were good lead and said I would be the perfect candidate. After a chat they said would contact me back.

Clearly you scared them with your perfectness.

Comment

ITJobsWatch - Developer Contracts advertised in the last 3 months - comparing 2020 with the same 3 month periods in 2019 and 2018
                  Link

Percentage wise, the number of developer jobs compared with the size of the market hasn't changed much.
                  It really is utter tulipe. You get a glimmer of hope and then **** all again.

Comment

Originally posted by cwah View Post

That's standard behaviour for agents over the past 10 years. They basically transitioned from using TCP protocol to UDP to communicate: connectionless and unreliable .

Comment

Link

Lol

Live senior it project manager roles = 2

Things are looking up

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X