• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tsmith
    replied
    Originally posted by pjt View Post

I was speaking to an agent today who basically said they don't advertise roles unless they can't find someone they already have on their books. He said posting job adds is more hassle than its worth as you just get flooded with a load of unsuitable CVs. Seems to back up what I'm seeeing which is nothing suitable being found on the jobs boards and very little on linkedin with any viable leads coming from Agents who already have my CV. I've had a fair few leads come direct from agents recently but keep getting beaten to the goal even when I'm really suited. Competition is fierce.
    Doesnt suprise me. I remember hearing an agent say Job Boards were hopeless about 15 years ago.

I also was around during the hiring process with LinkedIn job ads once. Applicant quality was also trash. Mostly non EU people.

Ive just finished LI automated application test. 1000+ out reach to Heads of XXX.

About 300 responses. Which is average for LI automation - Circa 30%. 5 or so Heads of XXX with active roles. 0 interviews.

Open roles had one thing in common. Either Crypto/Blockchain or ML/Datascience

So basically only roles with seemingly high levels of shortages is there anyone willing to entertain a convo with me.

I have no crypto/blockchain/ml/datascience experience and have no desire to enter those fields.

Back to the side hustles it is!

Leave a comment:

• pjt
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post

It's never been easier to search for roles online and apply for them with a couple of clicks.

Paradoxically, it's never been more difficult to secure a role advertised online because it is so easy to apply and recruiters/hiring managers get bombarded with applications. On a lot of applications now, there are one or two knockout questions e.g. 'do you have experience in X industry?' So applications can be filtered this way.

I saw a role recently at 5pm on LinkedIn that had been posted an hour earlier at 4pm. By 930 next morning it was already taken down due to the number of applicants.
    I was speaking to an agent today who basically said they don't advertise roles unless they can't find someone they already have on their books. He said posting job adds is more hassle than its worth as you just get flooded with a load of unsuitable CVs. Seems to back up what I'm seeeing which is nothing suitable being found on the jobs boards and very little on linkedin with any viable leads coming from Agents who already have my CV. I've had a fair few leads come direct from agents recently but keep getting beaten to the goal even when I'm really suited. Competition is fierce.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    The thing about Workday as an applicant tracking system is interesting. If it wasn't for the URL and the obvious branding, no-one would know they were applying using Workday - and because each customer defines the application process and holds the applicant data, they require the applicant to create a login each time.

Workday doesn't care of course because it's not their issue really BUT it is getting them a bad name as their name is so visible.

Someone at Workday either missed a trick (or else decided they are not interested) by not creating the ability to share data - but that would mean Workday offering free user accounts to applicants of course.

Also their parsing of CV data is hopeless.

Apparently there's a Chrome extension that can store the data from a WD application for use in the next one.

Leave a comment:

• tsmith
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Lots of roles (not just in IT) have been combined as some genius decides they can just have one person do everything. I recently enquired about a pretty heavy duty lead role in an implementation programme only to find the job spec wasn't just about implementing the whole thing (and a whole load of other stuff), it was also sales, generating your own leads for future projects.

I have been seeking systems manager roles looking after my the application I have a lot of knowledge in - Workday - most recently I've seen a role that involves BAU and project work looking after all HR and Finance systems AND being the payroll manager!

To continue with the Little Britain references upthread, they want you to write the theme tune, sing the theme tune and appear in every episode.

More seriously - if I could do all the things asked for, I certainly wouldn't need to be wasting time applying for jobs at crappyco.
    Workday - the worst thing to happen to applying for jobs in 30 years. Lets make you choose a username and password for EVERY company advertising roles. Even though they all use Workday.

"SSO is for losers" - Head Of Product - Workday

Just seen exactly this on LinkedIn. Job spec was literally a one man digital agency. Wasnt even 3 roles in one more like 5.

Roles and responsibilities of a Scrum Master, Product Manager, Head Of Design - cant remember the rest - just ridiculous

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Lots of roles (not just in IT) have been combined as some genius decides they can just have one person do everything. I recently enquired about a pretty heavy duty lead role in an implementation programme only to find the job spec wasn't just about implementing the whole thing (and a whole load of other stuff), it was also sales, generating your own leads for future projects.

I have been seeking systems manager roles looking after my the application I have a lot of knowledge in - Workday - most recently I've seen a role that involves BAU and project work looking after all HR and Finance systems AND being the payroll manager!

To continue with the Little Britain references upthread, they want you to write the theme tune, sing the theme tune and appear in every episode.

More seriously - if I could do all the things asked for, I certainly wouldn't need to be wasting time applying for jobs at crappyco.

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    Here’s what ChatGPT says about this. My opinion leans towards 3 & 4, and to a lesser extent 1 -

​​​​​​———
    The recent trends in job postings for 'Scrum Master' roles suggest a shift in the market.

1. **Role Evolution**: The Scrum Master role is evolving into a more encompassing Delivery Manager position. This reflects the growing complexity of projects and the need for agile leaders who can wear multiple hats, not just facilitate Scrum ceremonies.

2. **Market Dynamics**: After peaking in 2022, the market may have reached a saturation point. As agile practices become embedded in teams, the demand for specialized Scrum Masters could be diminishing, with their tasks being absorbed by other team members.

3. **Economic Influence**: The current economic climate is tough, and this has a direct impact on hiring trends. Companies may be consolidating roles to optimize costs, which could explain the reduced emphasis on hiring Scrum Masters.

4. **Agile Integration**: With the rise of remote work, agile methodologies are being distributed across various roles within teams. This could mean that the facilitation tasks traditionally handled by a Scrum Master are now being distributed among team members, reducing the need for a dedicated Scrum Master.

5. **Skill Set Shift**: There's a growing expectation for Scrum Masters to have a broader skill set, including technical expertise and leadership skills. This could lead to fewer job postings for traditional Scrum Master roles as the requirements expand to include a wider range of competencies.

In essence, while the title 'Scrum Master' may appear less frequently in job postings, the essence of the role and the agile practices it encompasses remain vital. Organizations continue to value the principles of Scrum, but the way these skills are integrated into teams is evolving, leading to a more fluid job market.
    ——

Leave a comment:

• tsmith
    replied
    https://www.linkedin.com/posts/alexs...member_desktop

RIP Scrum Masters. Long live Waterfall and Project Managers

"So, according ITJobsWatch, we're currently seeing job postings that featured 'Scrum Master' in the job title at the same levels as 2014 for contract and 2011 for perm...

From the same graph, both peaked in 2022.

Interested to hear from my network as to why you feel this could be?

Is it that the Scrum Master has morphed into more of a Delivery Manager and now required to wear multiple hats? Could it be that there is simply less need for Scrum Masters these days, and others in the team are able to facilitate those tasks? Or, could it simply be that it's a tough market out there at the moment and we will see an improvement in this space?"

Leave a comment:

• Fraidycat
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

Tax changes came in three years ago, why are we even talking about it as if it's just happened and people had no time to re-adjust?
    And for the 12 months after private sector changes were introduced, the contract market was still booming, and this was not due to a delayed reaction, as it had already been delayed by 12 months due to covid and many firms had stopped outside gigs before the rules came in.

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    Originally posted by dsc View Post

21% not working and 50%+ reject inside IR35 contracts

Tax changes came in three years ago, why are we even talking about it as if it's just happened and people had no time to re-adjust?
    Exactly. It’s not going to go back to what it was. The Tories couldn’t be arsed to reverse the changes they made and Labour (who are using ‘tax avoiders’ as a bottomless well of savings like the Tories do with ‘public sector efficiencies’ and ‘benefit reforms’) will tighten it further if they win.

I’m grateful for the large percentage who reportedly reject inside contracts and are looking for overseas contracts.
    Last edited by sreed; 10 April 2024, 10:40.

Leave a comment:

• dsc
    replied
    Originally posted by hobnob View Post

For anyone who looked at that URL and thought "nope!", it's an article which refers to "a recent IPSE survey". So, probably better to go directly to the source:
    One in 10 contractors out of work due to controversial tax changes | IPSE

Key points:
    21% not working and 50%+ reject inside IR35 contracts

Leave a comment:

Working...
X