• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite a few .Net contacts I know are still looking. I'm not convinced that this market will ever return to be honest.

I closed my Ltd down 4 years ago and took a perm role. Moved on since then to a FTC which has just been extended until 2026, after that I'm gearing up for a low paying fully remote role I can work whilst I'm abroad.

Comment

Am seeing a rise in agency insolvencies and also those talking about the prospect of it. Keep your credit control tight!
      https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        ooh, ooh, where do I sign up!
        Woah, that is just slightly over £40k a year perm equivalent...then again the role is "Continuous Improvement Practitioner", so perhaps 40k is a lot for that

Comment

This is truly terrible:

Lead Test Analyst

6m inside IR35

Remote, with occasional site visits (South Wales)

£160pd rate (Umbrella)

The rates are compressed due to NHS budget availability. The role needs a site visit to collect and return your IT equipment.

<snip>

You’ll be required to work on a full-time basis between the hours of 8am – 6pm, Monday to Friday, 7.5 hours per day, 37.5 hours per week (Start/end times will be confirmed on day 1 of the contract). The successful candidate must work solely for the client during the hours stated above.

I know these things aren't entirely accurate but on-line calculator tells me this is the equivalent of about a 28k a year permanent job without the benefits and with line management responsibilities.

Comment

Calling other morons in Professional forums is unacceptable. Please do not do that again, consider this a warning.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post

Moan, whine, whinge.
              ME ME ME ME ME!
              Oh, do give it a rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
                Am seeing a rise in agency insolvencies and also those talking about the prospect of it. Keep your credit control tight!
                I was talking to the agent I got my last contract through which finished in May. They still haven't been paid for my work there and that was for a public sector client.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Woah, that is just slightly over £40k a year perm equivalent...then again the role is "Continuous Improvement Practitioner", so perhaps 40k is a lot for that
                  Indeed and if you forget about perm benefits as such (I know you shouldn't) but Clarity Umbrella calculator has a take home pay of £3300 (on a 20day month), to get that from a perm salary requires £50k and I doubt the LA will be paying that, probably not even the £40k you alluded to. So if I'd been out of work for a bit then I'd take it and continue looking.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post

Indeed and if you forget about perm benefits as such (I know you shouldn't) but Clarity Umbrella calculator has a take home pay of £3300 (on a 20day month), to get that from a perm salary requires £50k and I doubt the LA will be paying that, probably not even the £40k you alluded to. So if I'd been out of work for a bit then I'd take it and continue looking.
                    Yup I always say that even a low paid contract is still better than £0ph, but on the other hand, this is why ads like this show up and get applications / get filled. With enough people looking and a terrible market anything will go effectively, of course you'd probably get what you pay for as a hirer, but still, the position is filled which then results in a conclusion that you can find people for this amount of money, so next time lets see if we can get the same for less...

Comment

Working...
                    X