• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've more or less given up on LinkedIn now it is getting harder and harder to sift through all the Facebook style posts people posting about weddings, births, nights out and promotions and all sorts...it isn't job/business focused but has become akin to an Agony Aunt style page...all sorts of drivel and too many ads.

It is almost pointless...agree with the other poster a lot of sob stories are appearing....each to their own I know but I wouldn't do down that route.

Comment

This is the worst I have ever, ever seen the market. Perhaps the contracting market is not coming back at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookielove View Post
        a lot of sob stories are appearing...
        Its the run up to xmas, expect to see even more of those over the next 10 weeks. One of happiest times of year becomes the most depressing if you been out work for months..

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
          Market update: we have bounced off the bottom but that was a double bottom.
          Inverted bounce, so going further down...

Comment

I found this recruiters roundtable quite interesting last week.

Give a few reasons for the current lull but suspect we might have bottomed out.

Comment

I've had a couple of calls from agents who seem to be sorting out their bank of available contractors; I presume in the hope that post-budget there will be work coming

Comment

Just got offered an extension on my contract until next Sep. For context, I'm a PM, the client is a mid-sized insurance firm and the role is (almost) fully remote. This will probably be the last extension as the two main projects I'm doing now should both be close to BAU by then.

They've been trying to hire permie PMs and BAs for ages but haven't managed to find anyone that fits the bill and has insurance experience, for the pay they're willing to offer. The project sponsor asked if I would be interested in joining as a permie, I diplomatically declined.

Interestingly, they've also got two PMs on temporary secondment (if that is the right way to describe it) from a Big4 firm. Unsure as to how exactly they are paid.
                Last edited by sreed; Yesterday, 12:47.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  I've had a couple of calls from agents who seem to be sorting out their bank of available contractors; I presume in the hope that post-budget there will be work coming
                  Not sure where those sentiments are coming from as everyone seems to think the budget will be effectively tulip load of taxes :/

Comment

well. someone's got to replace all the wonga the Torys gave to their chums in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
                      well. someone's got to replace all the wonga the Torys gave to their chums in 2020.
                      Agreed and I'm personally not surprised the plan is to get the monies from somewhere, but at the same time cannot get why some people think this particular budget will somehow zap the markets back into action. They do have to put some stuff in there to not completely kill the economy, but I think the priority atm is to get more cash in the budget rather than make it easier for companies to get more cash in their budgets.

Comment

Working...
                      X