• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t think any of this is down to ageism in the contracting sector anyway. It certainly is in the perm sector and it’s almost understandable although being in the 55+ bracket I don’t agree with it but I understand it.

its pure and simple supply and demand which the low number of contracts even falsely advertised and the crap rates tell you. Lots of older perms made or taken redundancy are finding out contracting is not as easy as it looked from the other side of the fence.

Question is, am I a retired contractor or an out of work contractor? One thing I’m not is a desperate contractor.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
      I don’t think any of this is down to ageism in the contracting sector anyway. It certainly is in the perm sector and it’s almost understandable although being in the 55+ bracket I don’t agree with it but I understand it.

its pure and simple supply and demand which the low number of contracts even falsely advertised and the crap rates tell you. Lots of older perms made or taken redundancy are finding out contracting is not as easy as it looked from the other side of the fence.

Question is, am I a retired contractor or an out of work contractor? One thing I’m not is a desperate contractor.
      Don't put your DOB on your CV.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzieExpat View Post

It's everywhere
        https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc...k-66060490.amp
        https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/b...s-b941600.html

I could find dozens that are published. The same ethos applies in a lot of companies as well.
        It isn't everywhere, only the perception of it and it is misunderstood.

You are not facing prejudice as a white middle age male. You are just not as good as certain other people for specific roles/jobs. That might bother you and it's easy to jump down the victim route, but you are wrong to do so. It's a tough market right now and it is normal for people with more skills and wider experience to be picked over and above you for roles.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post

Don't put your DOB on your CV.
          Yes, although putting on details of a degree will quite often give away your age roughly.

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post

You are not facing prejudice as a white middle age male. You are just not as good as certain other people for specific roles/jobs.
            But isn't that one and the same thing? That if white middle aged males are not as good as other people, and recruiters believe this to be the case, then it is prejudice. Accurate prejudice but prejudice all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"
              I've been working for big multinational once and client of theirs located in Aberdeen rejected my assignment to the project based on fact that I am non-native speaker and will have hard time understanding their aberdeenian accent. And that's without even having conversation with me.

That was rather funny as in our geographically distributed team next best native English speaker was from Portugal.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post

Yes, although putting on details of a degree will quite often give away your age roughly.
                As I don't have a degree, what details would you include that would give the game away? Surely it just needs to state the subject and class and where you studied? I certainly don't state the year I got my CPD certs and don't bother mentioning my A-Levels or GCSEs anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

As I don't have a degree, what details would you include that would give the game away? Surely it just needs to state the subject and class and where you studied? I certainly don't state the year I got my CPD certs and don't bother mentioning my A-Levels or GCSEs anymore.
                  You did GCSE's? Pull the other one.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You would normally identify the period or year of graduation. Tbh, for degrees, omitting that basic information probably conveys the same thing (that you don't want to convey).

Comment

As I said to my older friend. Its pointless trying to hide that information. If they only want to employ someone 35 and under, you omitting hints of your age from your CV might get you an interview, but it will be a time waste for all concerned. Its like dating, if a woman wants a 6ft man omitting 5ft 5 from the dating profile isn't going to change her mind when she actually meets you.

Isn't it better to be honest, and those that actually are wanting someone more experienced can get in touch?

Comment

Working...
                      X