• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

State of the Market

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Why would the IR35 changes be repealed now, especially under Labour? they need all the money they can get, so I wouldn't be surprised if more taxes are on the way and businesses are going to be the ones paying.

As for gov contracts, isn't everything going to be put on hold for now until after the election? new gov will be forming new groups for pretty much everything, so I can see a lot of unknowns on the horizon.
    That was my point. Anyone hoping for a Liz Truss style reform if Labour win the UK GE is going to be very disappointed. Not. Going. To. Happen.

As for contracting and tendering, these are happening now, so the attitude will be "Ok we now to close this tendering A.S.A.P and get something over the line". Business 2 Business has to continue onwards, at the very least, the BAU business as-usual parts of it. I think the reverse. I agree with you Dsc that today is too late for the procrastinators who were just about release a tender RFC; prevaricated they did, snoozed and they just lost. Ha!

Comment

IR35 won't be pulled by Labour, they were the ones who brought it in. Dawn Primarolo gets the credit for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Paracelsus View Post

It's worked pretty well for Japan. Hardly any inflation for decades, decent tax rates, reasonable house prices etc.
        Of course, they have other issues, but ultimately their citizens are not flocking to emigrate so must be reasonably happy.
        I'm not sure Japan is a good comparison. It's one of the most homogenous countries in the world, on the one hand they are very global, on the other, very inward looking.

As you say, they have other issues, mainly the loss of the 'job for life' culture, one of the world's most aging populations and a very low birth rate.

Comment

Has a switch been flicked. I've been banging my head against a brick wall for months getting nothing. Since the end of last week I'm seeing a big uptick in roles and actual agent interest. Had 2 interviews this week already and another one lined up as well as another few possibles. Might be a lucky week but its like night and day to the start of this year.

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post

This is crazy
            Not being funny but seems like you are being paid an offshore rate for an onshore job.

Have you looked at companies like Detica / BAE systems? They are chock full of technical people from top unis.
            Originally posted by pjt View Post
            Has a switch been flicked. I've been banging my head against a brick wall for months getting nothing. Since the end of last week I'm seeing a big uptick in roles and actual agent interest. Had 2 interviews this week already and another one lined up as well as another few possibles. Might be a lucky week but its like night and day to the start of this year.
            Still tulip. Looks as if it's getting worse with fewer roles on jobserve.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
              main problem remains the massive numbers of Indian nationals who have been allowed into the country completely distorting the jobs market.
              This is true BTW (not racist, just a fact).

The number of worker visas issues has hugely increased over the last couple of years. And they want us to be angry about the small boats! That is just a distraction tactic from what is really going on.

A high proportion of them are for Indians. (There is a spreadsheet with origin info in it too, but couldn't find it in the few minutes I spent looking):

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...of%20672%2C000.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by willendure; 24 May 2024, 08:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Paracelsus View Post
                It's worked pretty well for Japan. Hardly any inflation for decades, decent tax rates, reasonable house prices etc.
                Of course, they have other issues, but ultimately their citizens are not flocking to emigrate so must be reasonably happy.
                Japan is turning into a basket case, although it has taken a lot longer than we might have expected. Several decades of stagflation, then things sort of leveled out during the ultra low interest period following 2008, since their low rates were no longer aberant. Now that US rates are back up, the Yen is tanking. They have national debt at levels around 240% of GDP, the highest in the developed world by a long way. We are starting to see something like the end-game for their central bank and currency.

They had the fastest aging population in the world over the last couple of decades - now overtaken by China. That translates to falling productivity, as mature workers drop out of the market. The Japanese got into automation way ahead of the rest of us, and did an amazing job of sustaining their manufacturing economy by that route. I have a cheap Seiko watch, which are churned out by the thousands daily almost entirely built on a robotic production line. One day I will buy a Seiko Grand, hand made, and a testament to their fine craftmanship.

Also savvy investors, they borrowed at their ultra low home rates, and invested abroad (search up The “Mrs. Watanabe” Phenomenon).

Japan tells us something about our own future, because their baby boom came sooner than ours did. In Europe the baby boom started after WW2. In Japan it started before WW2, but after they conquered much of Asia. So they were a couple of decades ahead of us.

Falling productivity, scarcity of capital, high government borrowing, rising health care costs, stagflation... starting to sound familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post

This is true BTW (not racist, just a fact).

The number of worker visas issues has hugely increased over the last couple of years. And they want us to be angry about the small boats! That is just a distraction tactic from what is really going on.

A high proportion of them are for Indians. (There is a spreadsheet with origin info in it too, but couldn't find it in the few minutes I spent looking):

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...of%20672%2C000.
                  Exactly! That’s what I have been saying but got accused of being racist…facts are facts! It’s completely distorted the jobs market.

Some posters won’t hear of it …I was accused of racism by Eek in an earlier post when I mentioned Indian nationals and visa situation…it’s madness the facts are staring us in the face!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Hardly surprising because they are now here so there is nothing you can do about it.

I will ignore the blatant racism
                    I was agreeing with Coolcat and this is the type of comments that are made …unbelievable…!

Comment

Originally posted by willendure View Post
                      There is a spreadsheet with origin info in it too, but couldn't find it in the few minutes I spent looking
                      Not sure if this is the source you meant: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...y-nationality/ ? There's probably a gov source underneath it but ICBA to create an account just to see it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-24 102625.png
Views:	360
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	4290085

Comment

Working...
                      X