• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of Contract Etiquette

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

End of Contract Etiquette

Hi all.

I did a quick search, no cigar.

I just wanted to glean your views on how to compose yourself at the end of a contract.

Coming to the end of a three month contract, having been promised juicy project work, have instead spent three months updating reports and spelling mistakes. The client is struggling to fill my time and I have the feeling the contract won't be renewed. Not that I mind as I already have something new lined up and have no intention of renewing.

Considering this position, what's the best etiquette? Do I let them know as early as possible that "I won't be renewing, it's been great here blah blah bye", or do I wait until the last day and say "I've come to the end of the contract and I assume it is not being renewed so great to work with you but bye bye..."

Fox

I'd say the latter; throw in a box of Krispy Kremes so they'll remember you fondly and keep your head down until the time comes. Only discuss it if they raise it; if they don't, then on the last day simply advise them that given no extension has been forthcoming you've found a new engagement.

Keep it polite and civil.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by The GreenFox View Post
      Hi all.
      Considering this position, what's the best etiquette? Do I let them know as early as possible that "I won't be renewing, it's been great here blah blah bye", or do I wait until the last day and say "I've come to the end of the contract and I assume it is not being renewed so great to work with you but bye bye..."
      Say nothing... exit stage left!

In seriousness unless I want to renew I never mention anything such as "I won't be renewing..."

You tend to know if a renewal is likely to be forthcoming or not although many clients can leave it until the very last minute.

Within the last few weeks I tend to highlight the fact that the contract is coming to an end and discuss work to be finished, handover and so on.
      Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 26 April 2016, 10:51.

Comment

Spin the situation around. Think about what you would do if your supplier took each of those lines with you.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Start making noises around handover etc, if they have any intention of renewing they will mention it, if not you are being professional and proactive to not leave any loose ends
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Are you direct or through an agent?

If you're through an agent, then contact them and ask if they have heard anything. Remember, agents are making money from you, make them do something to earn it.

If you're direct, then ask the client if they have any further requirements for you, by the sounds of things they don't. Then you can go off looking for new contracts, and when it comes to your last day, donuts. If they say they would like to keep you on, then you can enquire about it and make a decision on whether you want to stay or not.
            You should try to leave clients in such a way that they will contact you in the future for other work, or be a reference for you - should another client (not agent) ask for it.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Spin the situation around. Think about what you would do if your supplier took each of those lines with you.
              Eh?

Comment

Hmmm. Keeping your head down and just leaving is bad form IMHO. Possibly client has completely forgotten about it and intends to ask you to renew.

I reckon two weeks before, its only polite to give the client a gentle reminder that your contract is coming to an end. In which case, it'll go one of two ways - they'll say sorry no extension in which case you'll say thats fine I had plans anyway or they'll say do you want to stay in which case you'll say thanks but no thanks. Then they've got two weeks to get themselves sorted.

It'll cause bad feeling if you rock up on the Friday and say last day fellas but I wasn't renewing anyway so no bother. They'll be thinking tulipe we need a replacement possibly.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Not sure what you mean.

I'm more surprised the agency hasn't asked yet - they've got a vested interest in keeping you on. That said, if they've found out, they'll not tell you until asked as they won't want you to find something else and serve notice.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Good points made. I am with an agent so I should really raise it with them also.

I don't want to renew and have already signed a contract to start when this is complete.

So in this instance I shall make it clear to both agent and client that I won't be available, even if they do want a renewal (which i'm not expecting).

I suppose I was a bit hasty accepting a new contract without confirming professionally whether my contract is renewed.

Fox

Comment

Working...
                    X