• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "End of Contract Etiquette"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Well if it makes you feel important
    The point is not to feel important, but to make other people feel less important.

And of course to offer courteous and helpful advice in the professional forums. So consider yourself warned.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    Handover has been absolutely vital in every gig I have had...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Having a different job doesn't make you any more or less important. It's just different. Looking like a pillock however......

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    We're not all code monkeys or helpdesk folk. Handover is always a key part of my contracts, and being indispensable in advance of handover is an important part of my operating model.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    We're not all code monkeys or helpdesk folk. Handover is always a key part of my contracts, and being indispensable in advance of handover is an important part of my operating model.
    ^ This....

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Handovers are a waste of time anyway, any half decent dev team will ensure that no one has all the knowledge to themselves, and can cope when someone is off, ill or has been hit by a bus, no one is indispensable, they're really just a box ticking exercise to make the manager feel that he's doing something managerish (rather than admitting that his job really just entails signing of timesheets and looking after the holidays spreadsheet )

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Fisher Price - like it. Yes well lets not get into will waving or "Im more important than you" thing....
    Depends on whether you do true project work, I guess, also the scope / resources you manage.
    You always seem to think we are all the same position, but we are not.

Yep. In a support environment, it doesn't take a week to do a handover anyway.
    Ah, proved my previous point, above. Ta!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Handovers are a waste of time anyway, any half decent dev team will ensure that no one has all the knowledge to themselves, and can cope when someone is off, ill or has been hit by a bus, no one is indispensable, they're really just a box ticking exercise to make the manager feel that he's doing something managerish (rather than admitting that his job really just entails signing of timesheets and looking after the holidays spreadsheet )
    Yep. In a support environment, it doesn't take a week to do a handover anyway.

Imagine it - contractor is there 2 months and says hes leaving in a month. Even the best, most knowledgable person in the world will have spent a lot of those 2 months seeing how the end client does things, which servers are which, how things work locally. So client wants him out asap rather than keep showing him stuff for the last month and then start again with new fella. They'd rather get someone in asap hoping they'll stay longer.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Wouldn't that be more dead than you?
    lol. *willy

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Fisher Price - like it. Yes well lets not get into will waving or "Im more important than you" thing....
    Wouldn't that be more dead than you?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Only for total Fisher Price / Numpty stuff surely?

Leave a comment:

• Chuck
    replied
    You don't want to renew and the client seems unlikely to renew.

So have the conversation but don't even mention renewal. On the Friday before, say that next week is your last week and you want to ensure a clean handover. Discuss the details of the handover and then go, after getting timesheet signed, on the appointed day.

Everyone happy.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Maybe. But I've seen it happen more than once where they've told contractor, ok so you're off in 3 weeks, tell you what we'll make that one week for you to do the handover.
    Only for total Fisher Price / Numpty stuff surely?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Sounds BAU inside IR35 to me. But glad things are going well.
    Ah yes we've had this discussion. And I think the general agreement was "borderline", "not great", "it is what it is"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X