• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client asking to go permanent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client asking to go permanent

Just into the contract for two months, and the Client is asking me to go permanent, offering to provide an acceptable pay package. How can I politely decline the offer? Would it affect the contract extension?

Well clearly the pay package isn't acceptable :-) . Yes it mostlikely will affect any chance of extension, but not always the case.

Why are you not interested?

Plenty of scope to say you are possibly interested but want to get to know the organisation a bit better first, thus securing the extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Crossroads View Post
      Well clearly the pay package isn't acceptable :-) . Yes it mostlikely will affect any chance of extension, but not always the case.

Why are you not interested?

Plenty of scope to say you are possibly interested but want to get to know the organisation a bit better first, thus securing the extension.
      Now I am largely unaffected by the organisational politics, but once I get there, not sure. Secondly, the package is not likely to match the contract rate. So, I don't want to even know the package on offer, because, once interest is shown, then it may be difficult to withdraw from the negotiation.

Interestingly, how would the Agency agree for this, as there is contract condition in place, which prevents taking any offer directly from the client for a certain period.

Comment

Originally posted by Abraham View Post
        Now I am largely unaffected by the organisational politics, but once I get there, not sure. Secondly, the package is not likely to match the contract rate. So, I don't want to even know the package on offer, because, once interest is shown, then it may be difficult to withdraw from the negotiation.

Interestingly, how would the Agency agree for this, as there is contract condition in place, which prevents taking any offer directly from the client for a certain period.
        If you are opted-out the client has to pay the agency a fee if you take up a permanent role. The fee is negotiable between the 2 parties.

So obviously you are now opted-out
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

OK, fair enough. Your reason for polite refusal is because you prefer the b2b nature and the lack of permie politics.

Occasionally that means taking the rough with the smooth, but who knows, the client may be happy to carry on.

Most agencies can be negotiated with, especially where they supply multiple resources... the agency would be foolish to kick up a stink and lose the client.

Comment

I agree - if you show interest you're doomed. Just say "no thank you, I am committed to working as a contractor".

And pin this above your desk for good measure.

Comment

It will affect the extension because you are now doing a permie role just under a different remuneration method inside IR35 so you'll have to stop claiming T&S etc etc...
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                It will affect the extension because you are now doing a permie role just under a different remuneration method inside IR35 so you'll have to stop claiming T&S etc etc...
                Not necessarily.

The permanent role can easily be different.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Not necessarily.

The permanent role can easily be different.
                  Well only the OP will know.. Although if hes struggling with this bit he might not be absent get to the bottom of it.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Just into the contract for two months, and the Client is asking me to go permanent, offering to provide an acceptable pay package. How can I politely decline the offer? Would it affect the contract extension?
                    My current client want me to go permanent but understood my reasoning for saying no, but seem happy for me carry on as contract.

Comment

Working...
                    X