• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Client asking to go permanent"

Collapse

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    I appreciate that. In fact i'm off for holidays (after your posts) in few weeks. Happy days
    Good for you, everyone needs time off, enjoy them

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Fair play to you then.

I dont know your (or her) personal situation. My take on it though is don't focus too much on cash and how much you can earn and how much you can splash on your mum. If shes in real financial difficulty then fair play its different. But dont kill yourself just to buy her a 60" TV.

JUST SAYING, you ain't going to be any good to anyone if you work yourself into an early grave or make yourself ill by overdoing it. AND of course, you've got your new son/daughter to think of as well.
    I appreciate that. In fact i'm off for holidays (after your posts) in few weeks. Happy days

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    We were very poor up until i finished study, and she sacrificed a lot to allow me study. Now payback time
    Fair play to you then.

I dont know your (or her) personal situation. My take on it though is don't focus too much on cash and how much you can earn and how much you can splash on your mum. If shes in real financial difficulty then fair play its different. But dont kill yourself just to buy her a 60" TV.

JUST SAYING, you ain't going to be any good to anyone if you work yourself into an early grave or make yourself ill by overdoing it. AND of course, you've got your new son/daughter to think of as well.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    It's his mum FFS you heartless ba.... oh wait...
    I was just asking how skint we talking like. i.e. Skint as in can't afford to live or skint as in cant afford expensive things.

If its first one fair enough, but if its 2nd then I think he needs to focus more on other things like his own family rather than pure cash.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Not wanting to sound heartless but is your mum in danger of losing her home/not being able afford heating/not being able afford food? I'm guessing not. You can't be held responsible to bail everyone out.

All well and good to help family out when they need it but you've got to remember that you're going to have a new family soon.
    We were very poor up until i finished study, and she sacrificed a lot to allow me study. Now payback time

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Not wanting to sound heartless but is your mum in danger of losing her home/not being able afford heating/not being able afford food? I'm guessing not. You can't be held responsible to bail everyone out.

All well and good to help family out when they need it but you've got to remember that you're going to have a new family soon.
    It's his mum FFS you heartless ba.... oh wait...

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Yep. Does my chunk in with his attitude. Keep telling him I'm putting the following on his gravestone - "To be on the safe side".

Lets just say he really hates me contracting. Tells me to get a 'proper job' with a good pension.
    Apparently he expressed concerns when my father moved out of retail banking (in the 60s) and into accountancy. Funny how he ended up as a finance director and retired early.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    My mom is on zero hour exploiting contract with no holidays that are paid (she has 8 hours contracted and they give her holidays based on that 8 hours, even though shes working nearly full time!!!) . Theres little i can do about it at this stage so trying to make money fast and give her pension from interest from investments.

As for holidays - i will get more as soon as i have investments working for me. Soon

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    No bickering please gents, we looks worse than Mumsnet. Mark - please don't wind the OP up, personal attacks won't be tolerated here.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Fair play putting family first. Different. You did indicate that you were doing it just for the money though initially.

I think you might change a bit when you become a father though. Its all well and good to help out parents etc. Assume shes in this country? Does she get pension credits etc?

3-4 weeks a year is not a huge amount. Bearing in mind permies get 5 weeks. I probably take a little more than this. Saying got contractors in my place who've not had a holiday for 3 years. Client takes the piss and says I'm not a hard working, money grabbing git like these. My answer is I dont want to be - I come to work to pay for things for my family and kids and thats it. I have no desire to be loaded.
    My mom is on zero hour exploiting contract with no holidays that are paid (she has 8 hours contracted and they give her holidays based on that 8 hours, even though shes working nearly full time!!!) . Theres little i can do about it at this stage so trying to make money fast and give her pension from interest from investments.

As for holidays - i will get more as soon as i have investments working for me. Soon

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Let's not exaggerate ok ? I have family , my mother is very poor and I want to give her comfortable life and pension and I won't rest until she's provided for.
    That said I'm just doing my 9-5, taking 3-4 weeks of holidays a year, and taking it easy, enjoying contracting as it is and will be a father in September
    Fair play putting family first. Different. You did indicate that you were doing it just for the money though initially.

I think you might change a bit when you become a father though. Its all well and good to help out parents etc. Assume shes in this country? Does she get pension credits etc?

3-4 weeks a year is not a huge amount. Bearing in mind permies get 5 weeks. I probably take a little more than this. Saying got contractors in my place who've not had a holiday for 3 years. Client takes the piss and says I'm not a hard working, money grabbing git like these. My answer is I dont want to be - I come to work to pay for things for my family and kids and thats it. I have no desire to be loaded.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Must be a South Wales thing; my grandad was the same.
    Yep. Does my chunk in with his attitude. Keep telling him I'm putting the following on his gravestone - "To be on the safe side".

Lets just say he really hates me contracting. Tells me to get a 'proper job' with a good pension.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    diseasex - if you dont mind me asking are you not that old? No kids etc?

If all you care about is the money I've got a feeling its not going to end well.You can't take it with you remember.

Story about my old man. He was the same. Worked his nuts off, constantly all he cared about was how much money he had (not a lot - he worked in a factory for 40 years)

Now hes 82 - thousands in the bank he'll never spend. But his flat is a complete tuliphole with furniture falling to pieces. BUT, he likes to look lovingly at his bank statement and see the money hes got. Its all a bit sad. Chances are when he goes it'll be there in bank still (then my brother will probably blow half down the pub in a few months!)

Do you want to be like that?
    Let's not exaggerate ok ? I have family , my mother is very poor and I want to give her comfortable life and pension and I won't rest until she's provided for.
    That said I'm just doing my 9-5, taking 3-4 weeks of holidays a year, and taking it easy, enjoying contracting as it is and will be a father in September

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

If all you care about is the money I've got a feeling its not going to end well.You can't take it with you remember.

Story about my old man. He was the same. Worked his nuts off, constantly all he cared about was how much money he had (not a lot - he worked in a factory for 40 years)

Now hes 82 - thousands in the bank he'll never spend. But his flat is a complete tuliphole with furniture falling to pieces. BUT, he likes to look lovingly at his bank statement and see the money hes got. Its all a bit sad. Chances are when he goes it'll be there in bank still (then my brother will probably blow half down the pub in a few months!)

Must be a South Wales thing; my grandad was the same.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    so what makes you happy and keep you going ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X