• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client asking to go permanent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Well only the OP will know.. Although if hes struggling with this bit he might not be absent get to the bottom of it.
    My current role is for a specific project. There are many projects coming up, so the Client obviously wants me to be a senior consultant helping several projects.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
      My current client want me to go permanent but understood my reasoning for saying no, but seem happy for me carry on as contract.
      What reasoning did you provide to say no?

Comment

Why not just tell them no thanks it's not for you. You don't have to give a reason.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I was offered permie twice in my current contract. Both times I declined politely and I got a new colleague in the office.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Been asked a number of times, usually saying I'm happy as I am, or I have worked like this for a long time is sufficient.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Abraham View Post
              Just into the contract for two months, and the Client is asking me to go permanent, offering to provide an acceptable pay package. How can I politely decline the offer? Would it affect the contract extension?
              It is best to listen to what they have to say. Then explain that while you like the organization, and feel you have much to offer, you personally prefer to stay contract.

Whether it will affect the extension will depend on why they want to make you permanent. Is it because they want to keep you? Pay you less if they can? Do they have budget constraints that have just kicked in?

I actually want to go back to being permanent from contact. But I found out at my previous role, a permanent one, that after 18 months they outsourced me. They had begged me to come on board. I got an amazing severance package. But it colours my view.

Comment

I have been offered a permie job once by a client - funnily enough it was my 2nd client, and when I look back on it, it's definitely my biggest ever IR35 risk.

I just said, that it was extremely kind of them and I appreciated the offer, but that I liked the variation of contracting and how I could focus on offering consultancy in my area of expertise. The client understood. I did get a small extension of 6 weeks and then we went our separate ways.

They could have offered me £100K + BENS and I would have turned it down - one of the permies on the team was the biggest twat I have ever met.

Comment

What reasoning did you provide to say no?
                  I prefer the lifestyle of a contract and the financial benefits - I have a very good relationship with my client so I can be honest.

I did add that I liked working for the client and would be happy to extend contracts.

Comment

...offering to provide an acceptable pay package...
                    ...Secondly, the package is not likely to match the contract rate...

OK, so you haven't actually been told what the package would be, is that right, but you've rejected it outright.

You can't tell them you are rejecting because of the package until you know what the package is.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Just into the contract for two months, and the Client is asking me to go permanent, offering to provide an acceptable pay package. How can I politely decline the offer? Would it affect the contract extension?
                      Yes; you've probably got it nailed.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Not necessarily.

The permanent role can easily be different.
                      +1

I was in a 3-month contract for two weeks in 2010 when the CIO offered me a perm role. The difference was that the perm role included cross-training on other tools - I got the impression that I would have been looking after far more than I had been brought in for.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X