• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renewal regret

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renewal regret

One month into contract renewal and all change - for the worst - much worse. I put the feelers out and there is the potential for a new gig (different agent). I'm supposed to be building a long term relationship with current agent, should I approach them first and tell them I want a move, maybe if I got this other gig, I'd actually be burning bridges with the agent, and I don't want to do that. What's the norm for a gig you despise?

Originally posted by Les67 View Post
    One month into contract renewal and all change - for the worst - much worse. I put the feelers out and there is the potential for a new gig (different agent). I'm supposed to be building a long term relationship with current agent, should I approach them first and tell them I want a move, maybe if I got this other gig, I'd actually be burning bridges with the agent, and I don't want to do that. What's the norm for a gig you despise?
    Finish it, I believe, unless it's causing you ill health.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

What's actually gone wrong. How can everything have changed so much without them moving you on to something you are not contracted to do?

Norm for a gig you despise? Stick it out. A couple of months on a long term contracting career is nothing. As soon as your done and at next client you'll look back and laugh about it.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'm supposed to be building a long term relationship with current agent
        Why? Unless you are earning them money, the agent couldn't care less about you.

Comment

I'm a bit surprised (as other posters are) as to how it changed so quick seeing as you've been there as would be aware of the what's happening.

Anyway, how long was the renewal? if 3 months I'd defo stick it out, if 6 months it would have to be seriously bad, but even then 6 months in a lifetime of contracts, it's not a lot really.

Oh yeah +1 for what Chuck said

Comment

OP - whats changed? It couldnt have been that bad if you accepted renewal....

How long is extension for? Do you have a notice period?

If you really want to leave, keep quiet and start looking. If you find something give notice and leave.

Don't worry about the agent - they dont give a tulip about you.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

assuming you have the right to substitute then maybe consider doing that - if you know someone who could do the role as well or better than you then you can handover to them, support them occasionally via email - also keeps you the agent and the client happy...and helps no-end if you get an HMRC investigation.

tbh I've only done this once in 25 years contracting - but worked out very positively. (I guess it could go badly as well :-0 )

Comment

Keep invoicing. Keep looking. When you have another gig give notice to leave. You can then start negotiation.

Comment

tbh, I was in a managerial type role and making a big difference in moving a bad project forward, now the original managers seem to have taken back the helm (I think there has been some internal kickings) and I've now become 'hands on' which means I've become part of the problem rather than part of the solution and it is all turning back to how it was before I started and I can't make a difference anymore (woe is me) I did get a good rate rise with the renewal and I do hear what you are all sayin' - think I needed putting back in my box in hindsight!

Comment

How long is the contract?

Comment

Working...
                    X