• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm to Contractor - making the jump - job market query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perm to Contractor - making the jump - job market query

Hi all,

My perm notice is going in next week and I'm making the jump into contracting, been wanting to do it for a while so my time is here.

I've been speaking with a few recruiters, a good few of them are saying the same thing - "A lot of contractors are moving back into perm work" main reasons I've heard is new tax laws, the perm salaries increasing over the last couple of years and IR35.

I generally think this is because currently in the north west UK there are more perm roles than contracts so they're trying to push me into a perm role.

I'm skilled in C#.NET and the normal stack, javascript etc and based in the North West.

Still a few contractor jobs around for my skills having the issue having a 4 week notice at the moment.

Any opinions would be great?

Originally posted by Frames84 View Post
    "A lot of contractors are moving back into perm work"...
    If this is true, it means there's a shortage of contractors, so more demand and better rates.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Frames84 View Post
      Hi all,

My perm notice is going in next week and I'm making the jump into contracting, been wanting to do it for a while so my time is here.

I've been speaking with a few recruiters, a good few of them are saying the same thing - "A lot of contractors are moving back into perm work" main reasons I've heard is new tax laws, the perm salaries increasing over the last couple of years and IR35.

I generally think this is because currently in the north west UK there are more perm roles than contracts so they're trying to push me into a perm role.

I'm skilled in C#.NET and the normal stack, javascript etc and based in the North West.

Still a few contractor jobs around for my skills having the issue having a 4 week notice at the moment.

Any opinions would be great?
      It's pretty obvious, if there's a lack of work up there, you'll end up needing to move in order to find work when you need the money. Whether you make that a permenant thing or as when in a contract it really up to you.

I moved from Scotland to Outside London because it's easier to find jobs down here. I didn't see the point in not just moving. It was well worth it from my perspective as I've been in contract ever since.

Your other option is to go back perm or to simply be better than everyone else and steal the few contracting jobs that do exist in your area.

Comment

Are you speaking to the contractor recruiters or the permie recruiters? You get a different answer from each one. Plenty of work for Java dev contractors in the North West at the moment don't know about the C# world.

Comment

Market is terrible. If you have a 4 week notice period that will put you in March which is even worse... Don't talk to me about how bad the market is in April..

You are going to be waiting a long time to find a client that is willing to wait the 4 weeks for you and one where after that 4 weeks the role actually still exists.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            ... Don't talk to me about how bad the market is in April...
            All months are equally dreadful.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hang on in your perm job until you get made redundant; it's the best way to go contracting from a perm role.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Hang on in your perm job until you get made redundant; it's the best way to go contracting from a perm role.
                use holidays towards shorter notice...

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                  use holidays towards shorter notice...
                  Some companys don't allow their employees to work for anyone else whilst still in contract which he will still be. Gotta be careful firing statements off like this. It's not that straight forward.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Some companys don't allow their employees to work for anyone else whilst still in contract which he will still be. Gotta be careful firing statements off like this. It's not that straight forward.
                    Oh don't be such a bureaucrat. you dont need to inform anyone of what you are doing, and 1 or 2 weeks won't make any difference for 99% of companies.

Anyway just a tip.

Comment

Working...
                    X