• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Perm to Contractor - making the jump - job market query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually php market is total pants. Any kid can do this pretty much
    Last edited by diseasex; 19 February 2016, 14:10.

Comment

Before making the jump to contracting in the present climate, try securing 3 contract offers so you have a choice. Difficult? Waste of time? Impossible?

In your 1st year contracting consider you may have to interview and secure 2-4 contracts back to back.

The market is absolutely saturated. Read some of the posts on here. 130 leads securing 9 interviews, where last interview was competing with 7 others..... And this from an experienced contractor.

Can you afford 6 months on the bench? 12? 18?

It really is not the time.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Market is terrible. If you have a 4 week notice period that will put you in March which is even worse... Don't talk to me about how bad the market is in April..
        Is that tongue-in-cheek? Just wondering because I'd have thought with April being the new tax year, companies will have a fresh full budget to spend. And March is the time that they dump any remainder of their budget so that they get the same amount next year.
        Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
          Is that tongue-in-cheek? Just wondering because I'd have thought with April being the new tax year, companies will have a fresh full budget to spend. And March is the time that they dump any remainder of their budget so that they get the same amount next year.
          It's a joke. It's extended from why every month in the year is a bad month to start a contract.

In short you can get a contract any time of the year as it is your skill set demand and supply dependent. So while some contractors find say August dreadful other contractors find it a great month.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            It's a joke. It's extended from why every month in the year is a bad month to start a contract.

In short you can get a contract any time of the year as it is your skill set demand and supply dependent. So while some contractors find say August dreadful other contractors find it a great month.
            More or less this. The underlying message is the market is a lot quieter in general now that it was not so long ago...

And on the April point. IMO this idea that projects kick off because it's new budget time is generally rubbish. If something is required by a business and the business case proves it will work the project will start regardless. Companies are not going to put cost saving projects on hold just because it a month till new budget year.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              More or less this. The underlying message is the market is a lot quieter in general now that it was not so long ago...
              I'd noticed that as well, was hoping it was just me. Friends anecdotally say the same - jobserve still stuffed but lots of cv-fishing going on and worse some companies doing the "lets interview people just to keep busy" dance.

Hopefully the economy won't slide into recession and this little hiccup will smooth out. Not a good time to move into contracting I am inclined to agree.

Comment

Working...
              X