• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Perm to Contractor - making the jump - job market query"

Collapse

• Flibble
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    More or less this. The underlying message is the market is a lot quieter in general now that it was not so long ago...
    I'd noticed that as well, was hoping it was just me. Friends anecdotally say the same - jobserve still stuffed but lots of cv-fishing going on and worse some companies doing the "lets interview people just to keep busy" dance.

Hopefully the economy won't slide into recession and this little hiccup will smooth out. Not a good time to move into contracting I am inclined to agree.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It's a joke. It's extended from why every month in the year is a bad month to start a contract.

In short you can get a contract any time of the year as it is your skill set demand and supply dependent. So while some contractors find say August dreadful other contractors find it a great month.
    More or less this. The underlying message is the market is a lot quieter in general now that it was not so long ago...

And on the April point. IMO this idea that projects kick off because it's new budget time is generally rubbish. If something is required by a business and the business case proves it will work the project will start regardless. Companies are not going to put cost saving projects on hold just because it a month till new budget year.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
    Is that tongue-in-cheek? Just wondering because I'd have thought with April being the new tax year, companies will have a fresh full budget to spend. And March is the time that they dump any remainder of their budget so that they get the same amount next year.
    It's a joke. It's extended from why every month in the year is a bad month to start a contract.

In short you can get a contract any time of the year as it is your skill set demand and supply dependent. So while some contractors find say August dreadful other contractors find it a great month.

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    Market is terrible. If you have a 4 week notice period that will put you in March which is even worse... Don't talk to me about how bad the market is in April..
    Is that tongue-in-cheek? Just wondering because I'd have thought with April being the new tax year, companies will have a fresh full budget to spend. And March is the time that they dump any remainder of their budget so that they get the same amount next year.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Before making the jump to contracting in the present climate, try securing 3 contract offers so you have a choice. Difficult? Waste of time? Impossible?

In your 1st year contracting consider you may have to interview and secure 2-4 contracts back to back.

The market is absolutely saturated. Read some of the posts on here. 130 leads securing 9 interviews, where last interview was competing with 7 others..... And this from an experienced contractor.

Can you afford 6 months on the bench? 12? 18?

It really is not the time.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Actually php market is total pants. Any kid can do this pretty much
    Last edited by diseasex; 19 February 2016, 14:10.

Leave a comment:

• OnceStonedRose
    replied
    Originally posted by hraban View Post
    Should I be worried or not? It has been a while I've been dreaming about becoming a contractor, and going perm now would feel like just disappointing
    What tulip dreams.....

It's still work you know, in fact it's work with XXXL stress added to the mix.

You have 4 years in work environment and think you are savvy enough to walk into a new "job", potentially every 3-6 months and get up to speed with clients' systems and start providing value from day 2, it's not easy you know our kid? Best of luck and all that but get ready for some very stressy times friend.

Leave a comment:

• hraban
    replied
    Well, those decisions were made after 10+ people confirmed that will not be a problem to find a contract. Because it works for them just nicely
    I guess I will do all I can till I have no money left, and they accept my defeat and go perm :|

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by Frames84 View Post
    the perm salaries increasing over the last couple of years
    News to me : Embedded SW Engineers' salaries have been around £50k for the last 10 years and no real signs of change at this time.

Boo

Leave a comment:

• uk contractor
    replied
    After seeing this thread I actually decided to finally register and post my first reply :-)
    I am in a similar position. PHP Developer, 4 years commercial experience, strong skillset, modern technologies. It always took me no more than 3 days to find a perm contract. Bearing that in mind I submitted my resignation without any anxiety. The agency I spoke to assured me it's for sure there will be something for me by the date I leave my current job.
    2 weeks left till my last day and that agency have not got anything for me whatsoever. Yesterday I applied for more jobs on JobServe & Reed, and agents did not sound really assuring on the phone - saying that the market is not that busy now and trying to push me into permanent.
    Should I be worried or not? It has been a while I've been dreaming about becoming a contractor, and going perm now would feel like just disappointing
    Never ever make decisions like that based on what an agency will tell you! You have just learned the hard way why not. You have the same experience as 1000s of other PHP devs its nowhere near a niche skillset anymore prepare for several months bench warming the IT contracts market has slowed dramatically in the last few months....

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    After seeing this thread I actually decided to finally register and post my first reply :-)
    I am in a similar position. PHP Developer, 4 years commercial experience, strong skillset, modern technologies. It always took me no more than 3 days to find a perm contract. Bearing that in mind I submitted my resignation without any anxiety. The agency I spoke to assured me it's for sure there will be something for me by the date I leave my current job.
    2 weeks left till my last day and that agency have not got anything for me whatsoever. Yesterday I applied for more jobs on JobServe & Reed, and agents did not sound really assuring on the phone - saying that the market is not that busy now and trying to push me into permanent.
    4 years commercial experience. Good luck with that. You are gonna need it.

If I were you I'd be absolutely bricking it. And not just now. There is gig 2 to worry about and so on.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Welcome to the real world of contracting, I hope you have some saving to tide you over for a month or 3...

Leave a comment:

• hraban
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Some companys don't allow their employees to work for anyone else whilst still in contract which he will still be. Gotta be careful firing statements off like this. It's not that straight forward.
    Companies Gotcha

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    Oh don't be such a bureaucrat. you dont need to inform anyone of what you are doing, and 1 or 2 weeks won't make any difference for 99% of companies.

Anyway just a tip.
    You're getting holiday pay, taxed by hector for the same week in which you're working elsewhere, also taxed by hector. Seems legit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X