• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Threats from agency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djm View Post
    I... I'll phone them in the morning...
    So what happened?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      OP - standard response from agency. He was already spending his commission before its all been done and dusted and now hes not getting it.

I find that agents seem to think that a contract offer means you're going to take it. The actual contract then does not interest them.

Yes if you've verbally agreed its a bit off but hey ho. What would client/agent do if the role got pulled? Most of us have had this happen and all you get is a sorry about that.

I'd agree - don't phone them back. If he calls you then ignore if they kick off and put phone down.

Not sure I agree that client and agent will blacklist. It'll all be forgotten about next week.
      Disagree all you like, I've seen it happen.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Agreed. My last client has some kind of process as I know at least two people reapplied for gigs, got the gig and then we're pulled without reason as the paperwork was being processed.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Agreed. My last client has some kind of process as I know at least two people reapplied for gigs, got the gig and then we're pulled without reason as the paperwork was being processed.
          Sounds like it will vary client-to-client as to how informal vs formal they are.
          Your experience points at a more corporate level block. The one I was aware of was at a departmental level (albeit that's the only department the applicant could have worked in anyway!)
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

This has happened to me several times. Obviously the agent you turned down is never going to be happy they are commissioned based after all every lost sale is one step closer to the P45 for them.

But you have to take the role which is best for you the agent is not doing the role you are. Unless they record the conversation (not sure that's legal unless your advised of it in advance either) legally they can do nothing if its a verbal acceptance.

You will never ever get an agent call you if they place another candidate for the same role as they were much cheaper will you despite them telling you the role is yours before the signed contracts are exchanged will you!

Comment

The agent can record the conversation and so can you, then both of you can use notes from it e.g. the transcript as evidence.

Neither of you are allowed to let other people hear the recording. So if the matter went before a judge the actual recording would only ever be listen to for tone of voice e.g. if you said there was an argument.

However in terms of the contract if the intention of both parties is to agree a written contract, if there is no agreed written contract then there is no contract.

It works both ways. In this case the agent has lost out.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

People getting angry usually means that the anger is the only recourse they have.

Learn the power of simply saying 'no' and walking away. Not my circus, not my monkeys.
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by jbond007 View Post
                  Probably industry specific ? I've worked in Media & Telco primarily and I've seen contractors leave mid-way through contract for another clientco and end up again at previous clientco in 12-18 months, albeit in different department. So even if the list exists it is probably department/directorate specific rather than company wide. The clientco's I've been at, usually have department specific HR reps. I assume if they maintain a list, they may not share it with wider HR community ??
                  This is extremely common in telcos. It is a merry go round. Hell, I am have seen people leave one opco and pitch up at another opco of the same telco the following Monday. It's all down to the telco land grab. It is the O&G of this decade.

This is not as common in many other industries. There are lists, but importantly your reputation will catch up with you eventually list or not.

Comment

Not saying it doesn't ever. Maybe at a client level where some manager may have a long memory.

At agency level never. Six months later they get a role thats perfect and your the only one who fits. Agency aint gonna care you messed them about previously.

I've had similar. Knocked back a role. Agent had a dig for some reason - even though I said no straight off and never even agreed. Six months later hes back on the phone like my best mate - hows the family etc.....
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Some points to consider from experience:
                      Don't expect to work at that end client that you've turned down. Ever. I know some have informal lists.
                      My current contract is at an end client I turned down 9 years ago (I accepted a permie role elsewhere in stead, my mistake)
                      Over time all managers will have left or moved, no one will remember you ever turned down an offer

Comment

Working...
                      X