• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding out the rate being charged?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding out the rate being charged?

What is the general consensus when it comes to finding out what rate the agency is charging the client? And if I want to find out, who should I approach? if I ask the agency would they tell me? or would I be better off asking at the client side how much I am costing per day?

I know a lot of people will say "so long as you are getting your rate, why do you care?", which I can understand but when my next renewal comes up, I'd like to ask for a rate bump and am unsure if I should squeeze the client (I feel I've proven myself and I'm doing a good job, hence they are willing to renew) or the agency (who have been useless, I basically got my first renewal myself without any of their input, so they would be my first target if possible. They have done pretty well out of the deal so far.).

If you ask the agency will the tell me????..
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You don't squeeze the client.

Your contract is with the agency, so you ask them for a rise.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

You always get your own renewal. Agents have nothing to do with the gig after placing you except to fill the paperwork in.

Its good you are thinking forward and trying to do the right thing but you really do need to understand your situation much better before you can start playing hardball.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The agency should tell you if you ask them. Whether that is the truth, however, you wouldn't know.
          If you are on good terms with the client you could ask them too.

Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
          I'd like to ask for a rate bump and am unsure if I should squeeze the client (I feel I've proven myself and I'm doing a good job, hence they are willing to renew)
          Why do you think you should get a rate raise, for "doing a good job"?

You should be doing a good one, in any case, right?

When it comes to asking a client for rises you need to prove why you are worth it, it will have to be more than you are just "doing a good job".
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

What is the general consensus when it comes to finding out what rate the agency is charging the client? And if I want to find out, who should I approach? if I ask the agency would they tell me? or would I be better off asking at the client side how much I am costing per day?

I know a lot of people will say "so long as you are getting your rate, why do you care?", which I can understand but when my next renewal comes up, I'd like to ask for a rate bump and am unsure if I should squeeze the client (I feel I've proven myself and I'm doing a good job, hence they are willing to renew) or the agency (who have been useless, I basically got my first renewal myself without any of their input, so they would be my first target if possible. They have done pretty well out of the deal so far.).
            In a cost-based competitive market, you don't reveal your costs. In some markets, they're transparent, but in others they are on a contract to contract basis. If I get a budget of £600/day and can get someone good enough in there at £350 and bill the client £550 so it looks like I've done them a favour, then I'm going to.

If you're after a rate increase, put your case together. Agency will come back and tell you client has said no and that they're on a low margin for you anyway. You must be prepared to walk away and not extend if you're looking at pursuing a rate increase as you're risking the extension.
            Last edited by LondonManc; 8 December 2015, 10:01.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I feel I've proven myself and I'm doing a good job, hence they are willing to renew) or the agency (who have been useless, I basically got my first renewal myself without any of their input, so they would be my first target if possible. They have done pretty well out of the deal so far.).
              You're doing the job they pay you to do, at the rate you agreed - what else are you doing that justifies a change in that scenario?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                You're doing the job they pay you to do, at the rate you agreed - what else are you doing that justifies a change in that scenario?
                'cos he's "doing a good job"?
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  'cos he's "doing a good job"?
                  ok, I didn't go into detail about why I wanted the bump my post was about how I go about finding out the rate, not how do I get a bump....

Obviously you have to prove the reasons why you deserve it, and I'm comfortable I can do that, with plenty of examples of what I have done in here and also by other offers that are coming my way, so I know my value in the market

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You always get your own renewal. Agents have nothing to do with the gig after placing you except to fill the paperwork in.

Its good you are thinking forward and trying to do the right thing but you really do need to understand your situation much better before you can start playing hardball.

I'm not sure that is true, I would normally expect the agency to be on the ball around a month from renewal time, catch up and then chase the client for a renewal. In my case, I did that work myself and got the renewal, the agency got in touch a day before my contract expired "for a chat", and asked how things were going etc and asked if my contract was up soon (shouldn't they know this???) and got in a panic when I mentioned it was the next day. Then I told them the paperwork was already in progress for the renewal, so I do feel they haven't played their part.

Comment

Working...
                    X