• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding out the rate being charged?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    You don't, you ask for an increase if you feel justified and walk if the client tells you to shove it, it's analogous to when being permie the only way to get a decent improvement on salary (usually) is if you move jobs.
    The worse thing you can do is ask for an increase, the client says no and you still stay...
    I do think you've got to be careful here. If you go in mindlessly, demand a rate that's unreasonable for the situation and then immediately back down at the slightest resistance you've made yourself a target. 3 of you, they only need 2 and one is making waves.......

It has to be a measured and sensible approach or it will reflect badly on you.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Until the rate no longer justifies the work that you are doing, or is significantly less than you could earn elsewhere, or you're sick of the place.

I've not asked for an increase on this contract because I enjoy the people, the work, the WFH, the rate, and the environment.
      First two then at the moment..... Although I'd swap rate rise for WFH one/two days per week.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I do think you've got to be careful here. If you go in mindlessly, demand a rate that's unreasonable for the situation and then immediately back down at the slightest resistance you've made yourself a target. 3 of you, they only need 2 and one is making waves.......

It has to be a measured and sensible approach or it will reflect badly on you.
        Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          More responsibility I would disagree. A year ago I was taken on to provide general support to x, y, z. Things have changed a little and client wants me to, in effect, now take over tech lead/consultancy for a project based on x. A dedicated x consultant would command a fair bit more than I get (or intend to ask for).
          So you've changed role which comes with a different rate card which I said. It depends on what the extra responsibility is, arguable within the scope of your current role or a new role altogether.

Also, one of my bugbears is that the rate I start is not the rate forever. Market changes etc so rates go up. I constantly get agents contacting me with roles paying 20% more than I get now. But like you said, I like the client but it can only go so far.
          Agreed but there is some common sense here. How happy would you be if all the contracts you are in at home go up every three months or a year for no apparent reason?

After all this time you are using the agent tells me the gig is 20% line??? Really

As for the increased costs, we are all going to be paying the extra dividend tax come April. I don't think there's a doubt its going to cost us all money. Yes most of us dodged the bullet with the expenses thing but its going to cost more in tax. Yes I know client doesn't care about the tax we pay but its a fact that its going to affect things. None of us should be sitting there and thinking poor old client, they don't want to pay extra, I'll just swallow this one.
          It's £2.5k. It's hardly breaking the bank. Sometimes business have to swallow something and then re-correct later. Like a tenner a day rate increase to cover. As TF says, go for it, stick it to them. I for one won't be rocking up to my client complaining my costs have gone up a tenner a day and I want it correcting. You are gonna look like a right idiot.
          I'm happy to bide my time on a good gig and 'if' the rates go up because of the divi tax then I'll adjust the rate on the next gig to suit.
          Not sure about being the first one to raise rates. Couple of contractors here but no idea what they get/what they're deal is. But not bothered about that.

BTW - don't care if agent thinks I'm a greedy troublemaker..... :-)
          And that's why it's pretty pointless giving you any sensible advice.

Just keep reading and liking the posts you want to hear. Am sure you'll be fine.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            First two then at the moment..... Although I'd swap rate rise for WFH one/two days per week.
            And theres your bargaining chip that may work out best for all, I've done exactly that before, new contract offered and rather than ask for more $$$ I've punted in a request for a regular WFH day (worth more then a few extra quid in my book), again you need to understand the situation you're in but this may be a good one to go for.

Comment

Working...
            X