• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extension and notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension and notice period

I've been contracting directly with a company since February 2015. They've given me a number of 3-4 month extensions since then. A 4-week notice period has been in place since I started.

They've now offered me an extension which is just over 2 months in length (to start in Jan). I informally asked my 'manager' about possibly reducing the notice period to 2 weeks as the length of the extension is less than usual. He said he'd see this as a continuation of the previous arrangement and feels the notice period should stay the same.

I don't like working in the same place for too long, so I've been looking at moving on but have found the 4-week notice period to be a huge obstacle to that. I've fallen into a situation where I feel that I will keep being offered extensions and that the notice period will prevent me ever moving on. I'm inclined to accept this extension just so that I'm in work in Jan/Feb and then if I'm offered another extension I'll refuse it unless the notice period can be reduced.

What would you do here? Is a 4 week notice period acceptable? I've read some people saying that the notice periods aren't enforceable... but if I agree to something I wouldn't really want to just walk out and put people in a difficult position.

4 week notice is fairly normal. It's not a "huge obstacle to moving on", it's something you live with as a contractor.

If you are good enough, your next client will wait 4 weeks to get you.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by MB1983 View Post
      I've fallen into a situation where I feel that I will keep being offered extensions and that the notice period will prevent me ever moving on.
      Turn down the extension, simple.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've been contracting directly with a company since February 2015. They've given me a number of 3-4 month extensions since then. A 4-week notice period has been in place since I started.

They've now offered me an extension which is just over 2 months in length (to start in Jan). I informally asked my 'manager' about possibly reducing the notice period to 2 weeks as the length of the extension is less than usual. He said he'd see this as a continuation of the previous arrangement and feels the notice period should stay the same.
        He is correct. It is an extension to the existing contract so all T&C's will stay the same. A change in notice is a new contract. Why on earth would he give you less notice giving which will only increase the risk you leave him in the lurch with no benefit to the client at all?? I certainly wouldn't.

I don't like working in the same place for too long, so I've been looking at moving on but have found the 4-week notice period to be a huge obstacle to that. I've fallen into a situation where I feel that I will keep being offered extensions and that the notice period will prevent me ever moving on. I'm inclined to accept this extension just so that I'm in work in Jan/Feb and then if I'm offered another extension I'll refuse it unless the notice period can be reduced.

What would you do here? Is a 4 week notice period acceptable? I've read some people saying that the notice periods aren't enforceable... but if I agree to something I wouldn't really want to just walk out and put people in a difficult position.
        You stay till the end of your gig. You don't use your notice as an excuse to dump your clients. Fair enough you don't like being anywhere too long... but two weeks extra is too long? Really?

You are a professional contractor and should be seeing the contracts through to completion. Two to three weeks before the end you start looking for work to dovetail with what you are doing, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and you spend a bit of time on the bench using your warchest so no sweats. Dumping clients and pulling notice just so you can dovetail contracts is a very poor attitude IMO. Pulling notice one in awhile for that dream gig then maybe but having the mercenary attitude that notice exists just for you to move clients isn't professional.. Yes people will say it's legal, it's in the paperwork but it's a poor attitude to your work.

Just walking out of a gig? Lets hope what goes around comes around hey.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

NLUK is right in terms of how the client would think, but I appreciate your concern about the shorter term. That said, you could simply ask about the reason for the shorter term to help manage your own expectations of any subsequent extension.

If you want to move on, regard yourself as next available on whatever date this extension ends.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You stay till the end of your gig. You don't use your notice as an excuse to dump your clients. Fair enough you don't like being anywhere too long... but two weeks extra is too long? Really?
            So I should keep accepting extension offers regardless of any other considerations? When is the "end of a gig"? My contract says the end is 21st December 2015. Are you saying that the end is whenever a client decides they no longer want you? Seems a bit of a passive and lame approach to managing ones career.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Just walking out of a gig? Lets hope what goes around comes around hey.
            Learn to read before piping up. I said that I'm inclined to accept the extension and "I've read some people saying that the notice periods aren't enforceable... but if I agree to something I wouldn't really want to just walk out and put people in a difficult position." I've not at any point said that I'd just walk out.

Comment

Learn to read before piping up. I said that I'm inclined to accept the extension and "I've read some people saying that the notice periods aren't enforceable... but if I agree to something I wouldn't really want to just walk out and put people in a difficult position." I've not at any point said that I'd just walk out.
              Assuming you want to work there again, have a think about your exit strategy, reason for leaving. As much as there's a general opinion of it's business to business, screw em, I'm off from certain people on here, good businesses built relationships and get repeat business. I've contracted for the same manager for two different clients and at the same client twice. In both situations, the exits were handled well.

Unfortunately the notice period thing is very one-sided in terms of future business - you walk out and you're not coming back but they'd happily tell you work has dried up but re-engage you 12 months later. As unfair as that seems, there's nothing you can do; you can only bill for what you've worked and depending on opt out status, what you've got signed timesheets for.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Why is 4 weeks a "huge obstacle" to you?
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

So I should keep accepting extension offers regardless of any other considerations? When is the "end of a gig"? My contract says the end is 21st December 2015. Are you saying that the end is whenever a client decides they no longer want you? Seems a bit of a passive and lame approach to managing ones career.
                  No, you should accept the extension if you are willing to see the gig through, if you are not then don't accept it. Dumping clients to suit yourself is also a bit of a lame approach to your career as well. I'm very black and white about this so guess there is a halfway house somewhere but I've been invited back to two gigs in the past, one I took up and one I wasn't available for. Hopefully I'll get more of this as time goes on by building up a good reputation. Contracting can be a very surprisingly small world and having a mercenary attitude is very short termist. Stuff does come around from time to time.

Fair enough, just a general response to anyone thinking just walking is right. My apologies.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

FTFY

Seems a bit of a passive and lame approach to use a bunch of strangers, on an internet forum, to help manage ones career.
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X