• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extension and notice period

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MB1983 View Post
    So I should keep accepting extension offers regardless of any other considerations? When is the "end of a gig"? My contract says the end is 21st December 2015. Are you saying that the end is whenever a client decides they no longer want you? Seems a bit of a passive and lame approach to managing ones career.
    Your contract ends 21st December 2015. If you want to leave, you leave at the end of the contract. If you don't want to leave, you accept the extension.

At the end of the extension, if you want to leave then you leave. If you don't want to leave and there is an extension on offer, you accept the extension. If you don't want to leave and there is no extension then tough.

You are in business. You have the choice of what contracts you accept or reject. Exercise your choice.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Your contract ends 21st December 2015.

...good point, that means the "huge obstacle" of 4 weeks is currently under 3 weeks. If he doesn't renew, it will go down to zero!
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

In my experience (which isn't much) most agents will say they need you to start today, whereas in reality it can take anything ~2 weeks to paperwork sorted.

I wouldn't tell them you have a 4 week notice as they won't put you forward for the role. Once you've secured a role the start has some flex.

VC

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
          In my experience (which isn't much) most agents will say they need you to start today, whereas in reality it can take anything ~2 weeks to paperwork sorted.

I wouldn't tell them you have a 4 week notice as they won't put you forward for the role. Once you've secured a role the start has some flex.

VC
          Not in all cases.

There are cases they want you there immediately after you have interviewed but you have to delay them due to the messy contract the agency gives you.

Even if you need clearance or background checks they can be done very quickly, if you have the right people involved and most importantly you have had them done before.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by MB1983 View Post
            So I should keep accepting extension offers regardless of any other considerations? When is the "end of a gig"? My contract says the end is 21st December 2015..
            On another point, it doesn't seem clear that you have clear deliverables, just a contract end date. I don't know anything about your working practices but it could flag up (hushed tones) "disguised employment".

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
              but it could flag up (hushed tones) "disguised employment".
              Oh no...!!!!

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post

VC
                in most cases I agree, just tell them you have two weeks notice and then work around it....

2 weeks is pretty standard, and then you add on a bit of time for contract review etc.....and agreeing a start date...

Comment

Working...
                X