• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting risks...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting risks...

Just a rant about my current experience with a recruitment agency.

Arranged my interview for a 8 months role, offered the role for 4 months and signed the contract. All done, agreed the joining date of 2nd Nov.

I have given the notice to my current client of two weeks on last Monday.

Today recruitment agency called and informed that client has cancelled the contract, so no joining now. Now what to do...Nothing? I believe.

Originally posted by computerguru View Post

Arranged my interview for a 8 months role, offered the role for 4 months and signed the contract. All done, agreed the joining date of 2nd Nov.

Today recruitment agency called and informed that client has cancelled the contract, so no joining now. Now what to do...Nothing? I believe.
    So you were brought in by a client to deliver a project. You decided to ditch the project before completion so that you could go to another client. The other client decided to ditch you.

Sounds like karma. You say contracting risk, your previous client may see it as a risk too if people leave before they complete the work they have been contracted for.

Comment

Well doing nothing would be a bad idea really. I would have thought looking for another gig would have worked better for you.

If I was a really mean person I'd say serves you right for bailing on your current client but I'm not so I won't.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 21 October 2015, 14:16.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by computerguru View Post

I never make a move until I have my contract signed sealed and delivered, and even then these days I always say its never in the bag until you have worked your first week, and got the time sheet signed and submitted. Any chance of staying putt ? But that is a real bummer I dont know what you could have done better in those circumstances. Why was the contract pulled any ideas ? I never EVER trust agents. I would even consider contacting the end client and seeing (quite politely) whats gone on.

Comment

But that is a real bummer I dont know what you could have done better in those circumstances.
          Not bailing on his original client would have been doing things better.

HTH.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylogin View Post
            So you were brought in by a client to deliver a project. You decided to ditch the project before completion so that you could go to another client. The other client decided to ditch you.

Sounds like karma. You say contracting risk, your previous client may see it as a risk too if people leave before they complete the work they have been contracted for.
            Really. Seems like you used to be Judge Anyways, thanks. btw, my current client agreed to release me early hence the notice.

Comment

Originally posted by Forgotmylogin View Post

But he stuck to the terms of the contract (which had a notice period built into it).

Sometime clients terminate contracts early (also in accordance with the contract). Also the many clients who impose rate cuts mid-contract, and who kill the contract early (but within the terms of the contract) if the contractor does not agree to the lower rate (this happened to me a few years ago).

Comment

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
                I never make a move until I have my contract signed sealed and delivered, and even then these days I always say its never in the bag until you have worked your first week, and got the time sheet signed and submitted.
                100% agreed.

Originally posted by Yonmons View Post
                Any chance of staying putt ? But that is a real bummer I dont know what you could have done better in those circumstances.
                Why was the contract pulled any ideas ? I never EVER trust agents. I would even consider contacting the end client and seeing (quite politely) whats gone on.
                No idea why it was pulled. I don't have the contact details for the end client unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
                  But he stuck to the terms of the contract (which had a notice period built into it).

Sometime clients terminate contracts early (also in accordance with the contract). Also the many clients who impose rate cuts mid-contract, and who kill the contract early (but within the terms of the contract) if the contractor does not agree to the lower rate (this happened to me a few years ago).
                  Bless, you still think it's a level playing field between contractor and clientco.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS
                    Are you suggesting that it should not be?
                    No, I'm stating that it isn't.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X