• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Assumed extensions - when is it cool to tell client no thanks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    True for 9 out of 10 contracts. However the occasional gig will just keep renewing, often where they employ an army of contractors. If you have been renewed 8 times, and all parties expect a further renewal, and the client tends to wait until the last 3 days to tell you (rare I agree), then don't wait for the last 3 days. Let them know in advance you won't be seeking renewal, so they can do a replacement/handover.
    And they could equally turn round to you with 3 days or less and say, oh sorry, forgot to tell you we won't be renewing again.

So, as I said originally, you can't turn an extension down until it exists in the first place.

See NLUK's post above for the reasons why 'assuming' contract extensions from either side is a bad idea.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
      So, as I said originally, you can't turn an extension down until it exists in the first place.
      Maybe it's being pedantic, but what you can do is push the conversation forward, by saying "my contract finishes in 4 weeks, and I would like to begin a formal handover process".

As soon as they say anything about an extension, even if it is "oh we might possibly find budget to extend" etc, then you can say you will not be extending for whatever reason, real or made up.

I'd have no qualms doing that. And I'd argue you'd actually be helping a disorganised client out by doing that too.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        Maybe it's being pedantic, but what you can do is push the conversation forward, by saying "my contract finishes in 4 weeks, and I would like to begin a formal handover process".

As soon as they say anything about an extension, even if it is "oh we might possibly find budget to extend" etc, then you can say you will not be extending for whatever reason, real or made up.

I'd have no qualms doing that. And I'd argue you'd actually be helping a disorganised client out by doing that too.
        Totally agree. Professional exit.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post

Absolutely. Getting to stage where everything assumed helps no one and can only go wrong.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            You've had a few extensions and both you and the client assume the next one is going to happen.
            You know the old adage; never assume as it can make an ass....you know the rest.
            Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              And that is where the JLJ case started falling apart. The longer the engagement then MORE diligence is required to keep it on track. No gentleman's agreements. Black and white same as per day one.
              I can see your point. But after a bit, there is an element of you trust the client, the client trusts you.

And sometimes there is a bit of extra consideration because of this. Yes I know its not like me to be professional and considerate of my clients :-)
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                I can see your point. But after a bit, there is an element of you trust the client, the client trusts you.
                Whigh can very easily be seen as becoming part and parcel hence the extra diligence to make sure this doesn't become the case.

Expectation of contractor staying, expectation of more work. Where does that leave your MoO?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would agree. Even the best client in the world would have no qualms if the budget ran out suddenly. Then it'd be "we're really sorry to see you go but its out of our hands".

Current client is clever. 3/4 weeks to go and they remember and ask me. Never understand why more client don't do this - get in there early and contractor hasnt got time to find something else. Leave it until the last minute and they might find something else.

This is good and bad. Good because I've had the "leaving it until last day" clients and it pisses me off. Bad because if I ever want to leave I'd have to decline more than likely then hope I can get something else - I'll never have time to sort something else (3/4 week before end) then decide whether to renew or not.

Like I said, got a sniff of a local gig but current place wants an answer. Chances are I'm going to have to commit either way.

Did have a conversation with client manager this morning. He was pushing me for an answer. Although he admitted he needed to get it confirmed and authorised first. So I winked and said, OK, but I'll keep my options open just in case it doesn't get authorised shall I?

Seems a bit sharp of him asking me to commit before its a 100% done deal after all....

Whether I would now say sorry got a new gig, even though I said I was interested, if and when the confirmation comes through is another thing? Debatable.... Strictly speaking they haven't offered it to me yet because its not authorised but I guess they wouldnt be happy....

Comment

Whigh can very easily be seen as becoming part and parcel hence the extra diligence to make sure this doesn't become the case.

Expectation of contractor staying, expectation of more work. Where does that leave your MoO?
                    Expectation rather than obligation. As you say, could be a grey area but also a sign of a good working relationship.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I will admit not great....

But the type of work I do is always going to be like that. Im aware of that....

Comment

Working...
                      X