• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Assumed extensions - when is it cool to tell client no thanks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I never assume extensions will be offered.
    That is what I was alluding to in post #2. There is no extension to turn down until it is offered.

This does however bring back a happy memory from ANFIS in Glasgow, where I overheard a permie manager (who liked to think of himself as a hard-arse) tell his boss that he was going to extend me and two others, but he wasn't going to tell us until into our last week, to (quote) "make these dicks sweat". I remember walking into the place on my last Monday, desperate for him to break the news. He dragged us all into a room and told us that "he reckoned we'd done nearly enough for him to consider giving us extension". The three way chorus of, "Oohhh sorry, you're too late......" was an enjoyable moment.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Eh? I don't get it. Politely decline the extension and take the closer one. Leave in a good way so the door stays open to future business. Give them plenty of notice to find a replacement and do handover. That is, several weeks before the end of term, inform them you won't be seeking renewal.

I have done this. When you explain the Mon-Fri thing there is no bad blood. Everybody understands the difference between working round the corner and working 100 miles away.

Assuming it is compatible with your personal finances/circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
        Eh? I don't get it. Politely decline the extension and take the closer one. Leave in a good way so the door stays open to future business. Give them plenty of notice to find a replacement and do handover. That is, several weeks before the end of term, inform them you won't be seeking renewal.

I have done this. When you explain the Mon-Fri thing there is no bad blood. Everybody understands the difference between working round the corner and working 100 miles away.

Assuming it is compatible with your personal finances/circumstances.
        Totally agree. If the extensions are informally expected then perhaps approach them along the lines of, "I know contract extensions just seem to happen for us, but I thought I'd give you advance notice that I'm going to be finishing at the end of this contract." Add your reasons (bs or genuine) for wanting something nearer home but explain that you'd consider working for them again should your circumstances change. Keep the bridges built.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          The best time to turn down an extension is when it is offered.
          This.

Really, the OP doesnt help himself, does he? Is he wanting to be the centre of attention or what? If you dont want the extension, just tell the client contact. You dont have to lie or bulltulip, you only have to be truthful. 'Its been nice here and Id be happy to come back sometime in the future but I just need to be closer to home \ need a break from the travel' etc.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            I've got to be careful here, I can feel a bit of professionalism creeping in. Got to be careful.....

We've all been there. You've had a few extensions and both you and the client assume the next one is going to happen. They get a bit lazy about sorting it out etc.

Now normally when clients I don't like clients I have no issues telling them no thanks. This particular client has been pretty good to me BUT its miles away. If it was close to home I'd stay here forever but hey ho. This is all new to me - a decent client I like!

Got a sniff of a local gig which is literally 5 miles from home. To be honest, with my family situation its not cool me being so far away every day so this would be spot on.

BUT, and there must be something wrong with me, I'm beginning to feel guilty if I don't accept an extension.... :-)

However, so you don't all think I'm growing up and acting properly, it is more money too so I am still a bit of a mercenary tosser!

So come on - what would NLUK do?
            Your in South Wales aren't you pc?

Either way I did exactly this a few months ago. 78 miles each way every day with a 5month old at home. Traded for 7 miles each way £150 a day more, less hours, full flexi etc.

Comment

That is what I was alluding to in post #2. There is no extension to turn down until it is offered.

This does however bring back a happy memory from ANFIS in Glasgow, where I overheard a permie manager (who liked to think of himself as a hard-arse) tell his boss that he was going to extend me and two others, but he wasn't going to tell us until into our last week, to (quote) "make these dicks sweat". I remember walking into the place on my last Monday, desperate for him to break the news. He dragged us all into a room and told us that "he reckoned we'd done nearly enough for him to consider giving us extension". The three way chorus of, "Oohhh sorry, you're too late......" was an enjoyable moment.
              Priceless, what was the scroats reaction?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I can't see you growing up. 4 years and 6k+ posts ago you can on here not being able make a simple decision for yourself based on your personal circumstances and here we are again. Nothing has changed.
                NLUK. Chill mun, stop taking thing so seriously.....
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Of course, completely true. But they're already scheduling me for work past the end of this one. Fully expect, as per other times, its going to be a conversation in the corridor. So PC, you happy to extend yeh? OK. We'll get it sorted. End of conversation.

Never a good idea for clients to leave until last min because of this. One client used to argue with me it didnt matter if they left it until the last day because I still had to give a months notice as per contract. WTF. A months notice not to extend. Never got around to test this but it would have been a laugh if I had ever decided not to extend.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
                    Your in South Wales aren't you pc?

Either way I did exactly this a few months ago. 78 miles each way every day with a 5month old at home. Traded for 7 miles each way £150 a day more, less hours, full flexi etc.
                    Correct. Not quite 78 miles but not far off. I can see where you're coming from....

Comment

Are you the Suity of Professional forums these days?

Comment

Working...
                      X