• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Assumed extensions - when is it cool to tell client no thanks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway, back to the point - Is this your first contract?

Comment

You will just have to deal with this.

I had a situation, a few years ago, where I was been extended at the last minute every month.
      Two months extensions went by, then I secured another contract, at a higher rate.

A week before my notice period I let them know, the comment was "how can you do this to us ?"

My response was, "Well at least I had the professionalism to let you know an additional week early, certainly not the last day."

Sometimes you can't win.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
        Are you the Suity ii
        yes and he is the same elsewheree
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          You will just have to deal with this.

I had a situation, a few years ago, where I was been extended at the last minute every month.
          Two months extensions went by, then I secured another contract, at a higher rate.

A week before my notice period I let them know, the comment was "how can you do this to us ?"

My response was, "Well at least I had the professionalism to let you know an additional week early, certainly not the last day."

Sometimes you can't win.
          You did win. What you can't do is please everybody. Embrace that.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
            Anyway, back to the point - Is this your first contract?
            Ho Ho Ho.

Ooh let me think. 12th contract. About 7-8 permie employers in between as well in last 25 years.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              You did win. What you can't do is please everybody. Embrace that.
              Correct, I did.
              I did get just a bit of satisfaction from it .

However, it came at a price later down the line, when I went for a later contract in the same group.
              He totally blackballed me to the hirers, as "not being able to deliver".
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Ho Ho Ho.

Ooh let me think. 12th contract. About 7-8 permie employers in between as well in last 25 years.
                Ok, the next question. Are you sure you are cut out to be a contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  The best time to turn down an extension is when it is offered.
                  True for 9 out of 10 contracts. However the occasional gig will just keep renewing, often where they employ an army of contractors. If you have been renewed 8 times, and all parties expect a further renewal, and the client tends to wait until the last 3 days to tell you (rare I agree), then don't wait for the last 3 days. Let them know in advance you won't be seeking renewal, so they can do a replacement/handover.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                    True for 9 out of 10 contracts. However the occasional gig will just keep renewing, often where they employ an army of contractors. If you have been renewed 8 times, and all parties expect a further renewal, and the client tends to wait until the last 3 days to tell you (rare I agree), then don't wait for the last 3 days. Let them know in advance you won't be seeking renewal, so they can do a replacement/handover.
                    I would agree. After a few extensions it becomes sort of a gentlemans agreement I think unless either party gives advance notice.
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      I would agree. After a few extensions it becomes sort of a gentlemans agreement I think unless either party gives advance notice.
                      And that is where the JLJ case started falling apart. The longer the engagement then MORE diligence is required to keep it on track. No gentleman's agreements. Black and white same as per day one.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X